Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Alpha channel no longer present in graphic when imported into Final Cut Pro 6

To anyone who can help:

I created a logo in Adobe Illustrator CS5 (with a transparent background) that I am trying to place into a sequence in Final Cut Pro 6. When I export the graphic from Illustrator as a TIFF and import it into FCP6, the alpha channel info is no longer present and a white background appears (even when I click the dropdown menu in the viewer of FCP6 that allows you to switch to 'View Alpha Channel').

I need the background of this logo to be transparent. Am I not exporting my logo properly? Is there another format I should be exported as?

Any help is appreciated!

S MacLellan

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Two 2.8 GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon processors

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 3:27 AM

9 replies

Sep 13, 2013 4:49 PM in response to S MacLellan

Are your graphics Image Mode RGB color, 8bits/channel? That is what FCP works with.

If they are, have you tried trashing your preferences? That is usually the first action to take when Final Cut Pro begins to act unexpectedly:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1846

You can download Preference Manager (free) from Digital Rebellion and it will do all the work for you:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/

Are your graphics Image Mode RGB color, 8bits/channel? That is what FCP works with.

MtD

Sep 14, 2013 7:50 AM in response to Meg The Dog

MtD,

Thanks. Okay, I trashed my preferences and tried to import my logo as a TIFF. I still could not see the alpha channel/transparent background. My logo is in RGB mode, but I'm not sure whether or not it is 8 bits per channel. I searched the Illustrator manual, Lynda.com and the Adobe Community to try and figure out how I can view the bits per channel, but no luck. Would an .ai file or a .tif export default to 8 bits/channel? Do you know how I can view this, or if necessary, change this??

Shaun

Alpha channel no longer present in graphic when imported into Final Cut Pro 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.