Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iLife suite missing after hard drive issues

I recently had an issue with my hard drive which required it to be wiped, with a reinstallation from an external hard drive. I went to a Genius Bar and they explained that Time Machine had failed to backup my applications, and said that while they'd be able to recover my files and music, 3rd parties apps would not be recovered. This is fine, as I can deal with those seperately. What I wasn't expecting was my iLife applications to be missing. I have trawled the support communites where they have advised to redownload the apps from the App Store, but they do not appear there. I managed to find an old iLife '08 disc and installed this in the hope that it would be fixed by Software Update, but when I open iPhoto now it says "You have made changes to your photo library using a newer version of iPhoto. Please quit and use the latest version of iPhoto". Can anyone help me?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 4GB RAM

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 6:00 AM

5 replies

Sep 13, 2013 6:12 AM in response to chrispaz

"You have made changes to your photo library using a newer version of iPhoto. Please quit and use the latest version of iPhoto".

Move your iPhoto Library out of your Pictures folder to a regular external drive and delete the origianl.

Start iPhoto and it will create a new iPhoto Library in Pictures.

Upgrade iPhoto and quit, replace the empty iPhoto Library with the one from the external drive.

Start iPhoto.

If you have issues, you can hold option key down while starting iPhoto to select other iPhoto Libraries, also you can right click on the iPhoto Library and "show package contents" inside is a folder called originals or masters with your original files you can copy out and reimport into the new iPhoto Library.

Sep 13, 2013 6:39 AM in response to chrispaz

How do I go about upgrading iPhoto though?

Software Update.

You didn't purchase iLife from the AppStore so it won't appear there in your purchases, but obviously it was upgraded as your iPhoto Library has changed.

Again, you also can simply right click on the iPhoto Library and "Show Package Contents" and in a folder called Originals or Master is your original pictures, copy them out and reimport into the older iPhoto which will place them into the older iPhoto Library format.

When you Software Update, all will be upgraded again. But with this method you lose any other changes obviously.

iLife suite missing after hard drive issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.