Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sudden shuts down

I bought my macbook air mid this year and my mac book has this problem of suddenly shutting down and refusing to turn on until some time. it happens when i am either typing on microsoft word or safari. Tt has happen twice and i want to know if there is anything i can about it.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 5:47 AM

1 reply

Sep 13, 2013 12:00 PM in response to Melfromsg

That's a symptom of overheating or a failed sensor.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional — ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Sudden shuts down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.