Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring iTunes Playlist to USB While Maintaining Track Order

Hi there!

I've been searching around the Apple Support discussions and have not been able to find an answer to my question, so here I am. I'm trying to put a few of my playlists on a portable usb, but once I drag them into there, they lose the song order and are instead ordered by the original track number of the song on its album. I tried re-numbering the tracks to mimic the order in my playlist, but that didn't work.

Also, I noticed that iTunes has an Export Playlist option, but it looks like it just exports maybe the song information, not the actual music files. Do I need to add this to each of the playlists I transfer in order for them to played on another computer? And I'm not sure what the difference is between the four exporting options: Unicode Text, XML, M3U, and M3U8. If I need to add this to my playlist folders on my USB, which would be best?

Once I figure this out, should the playlist be able to be played on any other MAC in iTunes?

Thank you to anyone who might try to help! I can usually figure these things out on my own by searching the web, but I'm not able to this time.

MacBook

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 7:15 AM

34 replies

Jun 24, 2017 12:21 PM in response to paintedbird

Numbering songs in the Finder file is a real pain, particularly if your playlist contains 100 or more as do mine. A neat way to maintain song order is to burn the playlist to a CD. If you use mpeg format, you can get burn a playlist with 150 songs or more. Next, copy the CD to a flash drive or a file folder. Itunes numbers the songs when burning to a CD so it save you the time of numbering them one by one.

Jun 24, 2017 12:26 PM in response to ed2345

Numbering songs in the Finder file is a real pain, particularly if your playlist contains 100 or more as do mine. A neat way to maintain song order is to burn the playlist from iTunes to a CD. If you use mpeg format, you can get burn a playlist with 150 songs or more. Next, copy the CD to a flash drive or a file folder. Itunes numbers the songs when burning to a CD so it save you the time of numbering them one by one.

Sep 13, 2013 7:42 AM in response to ed2345

"The M3U approach is nice, but hardly anyone uses it, and in iTunes 11 it does not even work. The way it is almost always done is to put the files in a folder and prepend 01, 02, etc.; see monthly CMJ mixtape for an example."

Hmm... I'm sorry, but I do not understand this solution. What is "prepend?" I didn't see a clear example of that in the monthly CMJ mixtape; however, thanks for the link to the awesome playlist! lol

Sep 13, 2013 8:06 AM in response to ed2345

Ok, but I thought that is what I already did when I re-numbered/re-named the tracks. However, I re-numbered them once they were already on my USB... is that the problem? Are you saying to re-number/re-name (is that prepending) them in iTunes? Will that make it so they are permanently that way in my iTunes (or, at least, unless I un-do the re-naming after the transfer is complete), or will it only affect the titles in the playlist?

Sorry for all the questions! But thank you for bearing with me! 😉

Sep 13, 2013 8:18 AM in response to paintedbird

paintedbird wrote:

Hi there!

I've been searching around the Apple Support discussions and have not been able to find an answer to my question, so here I am. I'm trying to put a few of my playlists on a portable usb, but once I drag them into there, they lose the song order and are instead ordered by the original track number of the song on its album. I tried re-numbering the tracks to mimic the order in my playlist, but that didn't work.

Note that you can sort on any column header whether it is viewed in iTunes or in a Finder/Windows Explorer window.

Sep 13, 2013 8:29 AM in response to ed2345

Update: I just tried "prepending" the tracks in my iTunes playlist, and it looked like it might have worked, but it also changed the track name in my iTunes overall (not just the playlist). Kind of annoying, but I guess I can un-do it once the transfer is done. Is there seriously not an easier way? 😢

User uploaded file

Also, even though things looked good in iTunes after I changed the track names, once they were transferred to the USB, the track name still contained the original track numbers and stayed in that order (see below). WTH?

, User uploaded file

Am I completely missing something here?

Sep 13, 2013 9:04 AM in response to paintedbird

Holy crap!! I think I just figured it out on my own (and by re-reading/piecing some things together in this thread).

1. Create a new Finder folder on your desktop. Title it with the name of your playlist.

2. Copy and paste the playlist from iTunes into the folder. No need to change anything in iTunes, just transfer as-is.

3. Prepend your tracks in the folder on your desktop (i.e. re-name them with the number of the track preceeding the track title). This will not change the title of the tracks in iTunes.

4. Drag and drop the folder of your playlist into your USB.

5. Voila! Tracks are transferred in order!

I figured out that the key is to prepend the tracks while still on your desktop so that the information will transfer over to the USB like that. I was trying to prepend in the USB, but the data from the songs must have still been ingrained from when they were transferred over.

Hope this helps someone else out, too! I noticed that there hasn't been a clear answer on any of the message boards yet (at least, that I was able to use).

Transferring iTunes Playlist to USB While Maintaining Track Order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.