Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need a larger SSD in my mid 2012 retina macbook pro

Can I have the 256 GB SSD in my mid 2012 retina macbook pro swapped out for a bigger one?

Thanks in advance,

Ken

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 256 GB

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 8:49 AM

6 replies

Sep 13, 2013 9:15 AM in response to swissken

swissken wrote:

Can I have the 256 GB SSD in my mid 2012 retina macbook pro swapped out for a bigger one?...

It can be done but it's a DIY project and will void your warranty, something you don't want to do with a rMBP. See here for the details and watch the video of what's involved doing it.

In your shoes, I would decide what's constantly used and just has to be on the internal SSD and what can be stored on an external drive for use when needed. You might find that 256 GB will get the job done as long as there's external storage for all the stuff you collect.

Sep 14, 2013 7:04 AM in response to swissken

swissken wrote:

Thanks. Will it void the entire warranty or only that on the SSD itself?

I can't say. That would be up to Apple and assumes the transplant is uneventful. If anything got damaged along the way I'm sure that wouldn't be covered. Moreover, if you have AppleCare (which, again with the rMBP, is a good idea), I'd expect that would be affected too.

Need a larger SSD in my mid 2012 retina macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.