Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine making a 2nd backup after replacing internal hard drive

Hi all, I just upgraded my macbook's hard drive to a 320gb one, then did a system restore from Time Machine on the external hard drive. Everything went well and I can still go back in time with Time Machine. However, when I turned time machine back on, it made a second backup instead of just adding to the old one like it used to so its using twice the amount of space that it needs to. Also, when I do a search in time machine it finds the same item twice this way. So I turned time machine off and deleted the 2nd most recent backup and still have the old ones where it would only add to it if there were changes. Any way to solve this problem or should I just delete all the old backups and start over?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 9:22 AM

8 replies

Sep 13, 2013 11:45 AM in response to BDAqua

I tried the instructions at the website listed above in the box that says Associate an OSX volume. I used terminal and used the command: sudo tmutil associatedisk -a / then dragged the old Macintosh HD volume from the time machine backup to the terminal and it showed the path for it. However it does not work, once I enter the password so I could change it to the new volume, I get the message: sudo: tmutil: command not found and I can not go any further than that. Do these instructions apply to Leopard 10.5? that's what I'm using.

Sep 17, 2013 6:36 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks BDAqua for the replys. I looked at the Troubleshooting link at the Pondini website and this is what I found under TM is doing a full backup for no good reason :

Leopard (10.5.x):

A new or erased internal hard drive if restored via Time Machine full restore, Setup Assistant, or Migration Assistant will do a full backup. There’s no way to prevent it.

So basically it looks like there's no way to prevent this. With that being said I pulled a few files out of the TM archives, then deleted all the old backups (it took about about half an hour to empty the trash for apx. 360,000 items). Then turned TM back on and started over with a full backup.

Time Machine making a 2nd backup after replacing internal hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.