Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini HDMI to Pioneer SC-87 Elite Receiver - No Audio

I just bought a brand new Mac Mini because I needed an HDMI port to plug into my Pioneer SC-87 receiver. When I plugged it in, I have perfect video output, but no audio output. I am using PLEX for movies and tried using VLC to see if it was the software...no dice, same problem. I could hear the audio playing from the Mac Mini internal speaker so I plugged in a 3.5 to TOSlink cable directly to the optical port on the receiver. The optical port on the receiver is correctly mapped to the corresponding HDMI port. Still, no audio. I have checked the System Preferences > Sound > Optical Output and it is selected. I have searched the community for an answer and I haven't really seen anything definitive. Does anyone have any other ideas I can try?

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 7:17 AM

6 replies

Sep 14, 2013 8:22 PM in response to BDAqua

No, the TV is not a choice probably because I go from the Mac Mini to a Pioneer receiver first.

Just tried changing the KHz to every option available and that didn't work.

I also just tried going from the headphone jack to RCA cable inputs on the receiver. The video comes up, but no sound. When I unplug the HDMI and leave the RCA cables connected I hear sound. So, one works without the other, but doesn't work together.

Sep 15, 2013 9:24 AM in response to Bonnie and Clyde

Other than your post here, I can find no reference to a Pioneer SC-87 Elite A/V receiver either on Pioneer's site search, or across multiple Google pages. Apparently, the Pioneer SC LX87 (with an Elite price, but no Elite markings) has been recently released to the Australian market.

If you still have the manual, what does it say about audio and video support through the specific HDMI port you have selected. HDMI version supported? Some TV that support HDMI only support HDMI audio+video on a subset of provided HDMI ports. Perhaps this is true with your receiver. Try another port, and/or another HDMI cable.

Sep 15, 2013 7:41 PM in response to VikingOSX

Good catch! I just checked the front panel. It is a Pioneer Elite SC-67 and not 87. All of my other devices work connected via HDMI. (AppleTV, BluRay player, two cable boxes, xbox) I have tried 4 different HDMI ports, all have the same issue. This week, I am going to purchase an "Apple branded" HDMI cable as a long shot to see if that works. Maybe the Mac Mini doesn't like the generic cable?

In the manual, here is what it says,

"The HDMI connection transfers uncompressed digital video, as well as almost every kind of digital audio. This receiver incorporates High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI®) technology.

This receiver supports the functions described below through HDMI connections. Digital transfer of uncompressed video (contents protected by HDCP (1080p/24, 1080p/60,etc.))

3D signal transfer Deep Color signal transfer x.v. Color signal transfer ARC (Audio Return Channel)

Sep 24, 2013 6:48 PM in response to Bonnie and Clyde

I have fixed the problem. So, if you are reading this and have the same issue, do what I did. You will need to purchase a "Gefen HDMI Detective Plus" http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-hdmi-edidp.jsp?prod_id=8005

It basically is a small box that sits in between the mac mini and the receiver. It has dip switches that fools the mac into thinking it is connected to a compatible TV/monitor, etc. When it is connected, you will see an HDMI audio connection that you can select. Mine says EXTRON D. Not sure what that means, but it works. On the dip switches, I selected 1) on 2) off 3) on.

Mac Mini HDMI to Pioneer SC-87 Elite Receiver - No Audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.