Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to remove Bing!

Hi All, I have tried everything to remove Bing from my computer. It appeared after some update with the Dvx player it over rides Firefox tabs etc.
I have removed it from the Applications library. I have even removed Divx player itself.
I have deleted Bing as a Search Engine option.

I have disabled the Plug Ins which showed it.
I have used about:config but that showed something but I could not reset.
I have reset Firefox a number of times too just to re jig. Going slightly mad....!

I have Snow Leopard OS on my iMac.

Thank You in advance for any advice!

iMac

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 12:01 PM

Sadly none of you repsonded......But after extensive efforts - you know what?! On the annoying Bing Search page, bottom left is a simple yes or no 'restore default's tab which I clicked. I am released! Unfortunately for them I won't ever use their tool bar again. It has used up much time. As a precaution though I have removed all traces of it in my Mac so that I am thoroughly clean and well away from interrupters and uninvited guests!

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2013 12:01 PM in response to Rebecca Rainbow

Sadly none of you repsonded......But after extensive efforts - you know what?! On the annoying Bing Search page, bottom left is a simple yes or no 'restore default's tab which I clicked. I am released! Unfortunately for them I won't ever use their tool bar again. It has used up much time. As a precaution though I have removed all traces of it in my Mac so that I am thoroughly clean and well away from interrupters and uninvited guests!

Sep 23, 2013 2:08 PM in response to Kimberly Deutsch

Hi Kimberley, as I remember......
So, in Firefox I clicked to make a new Tab and the annoying Bing Search page appears. Bottom left of the whole Bing page is a very small, non descript arrow/button thing with just 2 choices on it. I then clicked on the 'restore defaults' button. It was like a miracle and such a relief! I do not want to see it again so I am writing this from memory! As a precaution also go in to your Applications and delete anything with 'Conduit' or 'Bing' on it, in fact anywhere at all in the deepest recesses of your computer! You may also want to do some of the other things that I have listed at the top.
I found it quite amusing that after hours of doing all sorts of other things, that Bing itself in a quiet way lets you choose.....it just does it very very quietly......but it does let you. It has some kindness......!

Sep 23, 2013 3:39 PM in response to Michael Wasley

You're right Michael, thank you. But you know what's like when you are going slowly mad....... And, as you can read, it bizzarely was ridiulously simple; even though there are endless postings on this particular theme. I accept though that either I am really on to something (super simple) or that it just hasn't worked for others. Wouldn't it be wonderful if it really was just that little hiddlen away button in the bottom left corner......

Nov 4, 2014 4:25 PM in response to sanjampet

I finally removed it. It was so frustrating. First I made sure safari had all my correct preferences. Then I looked and had an extension for genio. I was like ***. So I put that in the trash, but bing was still there. So then i went to my finder and typed in genio, not bing and a file came up. I put it in the trash and then emptied my bin all of it. Now its finally gone. I hope it works for you.

Nov 8, 2014 4:33 PM in response to Rebecca Rainbow

Had the same frustration. I tried all of the above recommended suggestions and none of them worked until I discover the little colored box on the right of the search bar and the small arrow to the right of that. There you can select you search engine and bypass Bing. Before I found this, I had installed Glims which was helpfull when I installed one of my favorite search engines "StartPage." I am using OS 10.9.5 so yours might be different but I sure hope this helps you.

I want to remove Bing!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.