Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Large iTunes Library and iTunes Match

I have over 300 GBs of music in my iTunes library. It is accessed from an external hard drive. I would like to use iTunes Match, but hear it only allows 25,000 songs. Any hope of them expanding this? How do they determine the 25,000 that are used?

MacBook (13-inch Aluminum Late 2008), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 8:37 AM

The track limit for iTunes Match is 25k tracks. If you have more than that in your library iTunes will not allow you to pruchase the service. To purchase a subscription to iTunes Match you would have to delete enough tracks from the library to get it under 25K.

8 replies

Sep 30, 2013 4:01 PM in response to KLH1

I have been kicking this idea around myself for a while, and finally decided to pull the trigger on iTM last nght, only to get the "Your library contains too many songs" message as well.

My issue is that I did extensive research, and spoke to 3 different Apple Store employees one day (we were all brain storming how it would work) to clarify how the service worked. I was told that any music that I ripped in from my CD's... if it was available in the iTunes Music Store, then those tracks, no matter how many of them, those would be matched and not count against the 25,000. If the tracks that weren't matched, THEN those songs would be uploaded and start chipping away at that 25,000 number.

In correct?

My biggest beef is how unclear it all is. I don't keep a credit card attached to my account, because I rarely buy things from the iTunes/App/Book Stores, so I porposefully bought a $25 iTunes card to apply to my account to cover the transaction. (There was aready a little on the acocunt to cover it if the charge went over $25...) Applied the credit, and then discovered that I'm not allowed in the club. So, now, not only do I have no iTunes Match... but I'm stuck with $25 in iTunes credit, that I'll likely never use. :/

Sep 30, 2013 8:11 PM in response to Jason Junker

Jason Junker wrote:

My issue is that I did extensive research, and spoke to 3 different Apple Store employees one day (we were all brain storming how it would work) to clarify how the service worked. I was told that any music that I ripped in from my CD's... if it was available in the iTunes Music Store, then those tracks, no matter how many of them, those would be matched and not count against the 25,000. If the tracks that weren't matched, THEN those songs would be uploaded and start chipping away at that 25,000 number.

In correct?

Yes, I'm afraid that what you were told is incorrect. Only tracks that were bought from the iTunes Store do not count against the 25K track limit (with some exceptions). All other tracks count against the 25K limit.

Jun 15, 2014 6:05 AM in response to treothe

The 25,000 tune limit is real. Once you reach that limit you will no longer be able to add tunes. I wasn't aware that the 25,000 limit also impacted turning off adds on itunes radio. I have reached that limit and do not receive adds on iTunes radio. Also be aware that iTunes match automatically renews even if you reach the 25,000 tune limit, so said differently you will pay $24.99 a year for something you can't use.

I find it interesting that the Apple allows you be purchase music fro them but after you reach the 25,000 tune limit which supposedly, Apple does not admit to this, is due to an agreement between Apple and the music industry.

I don;t know about the rest of you but my music library gets larger every day while the 25,000 limit remains chipped in stone.

Tunrned off the automatic renew on iTunes Match.

Jun 15, 2014 7:32 AM in response to CP10934

CP10934 wrote:

I find it interesting that the Apple allows you be purchase music fro them but after you reach the 25,000 tune limit which supposedly, Apple does not admit to this, is due to an agreement between Apple and the music industry.

Apple clearly states that there is a limit of 25K and that itunes store purchases do not count towards this limit.

My itunes library is substantially over 25K but only 24,980 tracks are uploaded or matched. I have a large number of tracks that have an Icloud Status of "Removed"

I achieved this by creating a second blank library - I signed into match and was able to view all tracks in iTunes Match.

I then deleted some tracks from this library - effectively deleting tracks in the cloud.

When I went back into my original library, those tracks were shown as "removed". iTunes Match will now ignore those tracks. You can now add new tracks provided you kept matched and uploaded less than 25k.

If you keep your total below 25k you should be able to contue using Itunes Radio ad free.\

Jim

Jun 15, 2014 10:53 AM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Thanks for the prompt response Jim

I did know about the 25,000 limit when I signed up last fall. I guess I didn't fully appreciate what the impact of meeting and exceeding it were. I have researched and found at least two work arouds but have concluded that they are more work and never really solve the limit issue. as a result I have changed my settings so I will not be automatically renewed this coming fall. Quite frankly the extra work to perform workarounds far exceed to benefits I receive from this product.

I have been a huge Apple fan for years and this in my opinion is not one of the better products.

Sad

Cliff

Large iTunes Library and iTunes Match

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.