Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cleaning out my old emails. Circular process.

Dear Fellow Mac Users,

My Mac Mail (version 6.5) has become very slow to Quit. I am using Mac Mail as a front-end for Gmail. I realise that some mail folders have become clogged up. I have tried deleting old messages and garbage from all of these folders in 'On My Mac' and 'Gmail' many times:

User uploaded file

In each and every Mailbox, I have used Mail > Menu > Edit > Select All and then:

Mail > Menu > Edit > Delete

After waiting for the Spinning Beachball of Death to stop (several minutes) I did:

Menu > Mailbox > Erase Deleted Items with *that Mailbox still selected* and yes, I tried In All Accounts, On This Mac and Gmail.

I did this several times followed by Restart/Shut Down of the computer.

On Reboot, Mail still retains many of the emails that I thought I had deleted.

Looking forward to your help.

With regards,

Ian.

MacBook Pro, Mid 2012, Mac OS X 10.8.2. Mail 6.2

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 10:24 AM

4 replies

Sep 13, 2013 3:36 PM in response to Yellowbox

By default, you cannot delete IMAP messages in Gmail. This is the way they've set things up. Presumably they want to keep your emails around so they can better target advertisements to you.

You can change this setting if you log onto the Gmail web site. Go to settings, then IMAP and POP, and you'll see these:

When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted:

When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:

You need to turn Auto-Expunge to OFF, and then change the second setting to "move the message to the Trash."

Then it will allow you to delete things via IMAP.

A word on this: I found that when I did this, messages I deleted kept reappearing in my inbox. Presumably Mail is not issuing the expunge commands as quickly as Gmail likes it, so it puts them back in the inbox. This happened to me enough (10+ times over a few days), that I reverted this setting.

The main setting here I think is to hide the "All Mail" folder in Gmail's IMAP settings, i.e. set it to not show in IMAP. Becuase if it's shown in IMAP, and you don't have the settings as I've shown above, your email will always be visible in Mail.

I'm really not a fan of how Google has implemented IMAP with Gmail. It is horribly nonstandard.

Cleaning out my old emails. Circular process.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.