Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external drive(s) ejecting randomly

Getting tired of this . . . is there any fix to this problem? I have 3 of 3TB Seagate Back-up Plus . . . tried all the fix but still no luck . . .

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), USB3 Seagate 3TB Back-up Plus

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 9:36 AM

8 replies

Sep 13, 2013 9:48 AM in response to varjak paw

Hi there - My iMac 27 was bought about 3 weeks ago - an upgrade from my 2007 24' iMac . . . The external drives I have are fairly new - all USB 3 Seagate 3TB Back-up Plus - all connected right behind the iMac and a USB2 WD 1Terra on a USB3 Hub . . . I never had any problem when they were all attached to my old iMac . . . I have tried unchecking the 'put hd to sleep when possible'/ tried swapping where I have the externals connected / tried the NVRAM and PRAM approach . . . but still getting the random eject problem. I am tired of running Diskwarrior to fix my corrupted/lost files from having the disconnections . . .

Sep 13, 2013 10:09 AM in response to varjak paw

I have tried that as well . . . no go . . . I have also tried just connecting 2 of my USB3 Seagates directly to my iMac and nothing else and still one or two of them will randomly eject either a few hours later or even sooner . . . also, when I wake the iMac from (screen) sleep, they (external hdds) will sometimes make the Finder unresponsive . . . I have also updated the firmware of my Seagates/ also have formatted them as Mac specific (Mac Journald/GUID) but still . . . The only stable one (so far) is my USB2 WD 1 Terra that I use for Time Machine - that one has not acted funny so far . . .

the is a looooong list of discussion here as well: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2151621?answerId=22845023022#22845023022

Sep 17, 2013 10:47 PM in response to Apollo Reyes1

saw this entry in one of the Seagate's forum . . .

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Backup-Plus-and-Seagate-Slim/Backup-Plus-Not-Recogn ized-After-Mac-Restart/td-p/199025

Re: Backup Plus Not Recognized After Mac Restart

Apple provided the following solution:

Under /System/Library/Extensions/ - delete the file "Seagate Storage Driver.kext"

After removing this Seagate storage extension from my Library, the iMac now automatically mounts the Backup Plus drive after shutdown or restart.

See if it helps somehow . . . I've tried it and re-started my iMac . . . noticed that my Seagate Drive icons have changed to generic ones . . . but so far so good . . . I hope . . . will update if it stays that way . . .

Sep 20, 2013 9:17 AM in response to brothersage

That is great news brothersage !! 🙂 That is awesome !!! Yes - I have done updating firmware before deleting that offending file . . . it's funny how that single file wreaked havoc in my entire (brand new) iMac for weeks !!! And yes, my iMac is still stable . . . even my Finder which was acting strangely before this fix . . . I hope this fix helps many more 🙂

external drive(s) ejecting randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.