Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture RAW conversion & sharpening

If I use Aperture 3, edit in Photoshop CC (PS6) does that mean:

• Aperture applies sharpening when converting a RAW file?
  • If so, is Apereture applying the default sharpening normally applied in Adobe ACR?
  • If not, can use the NIK Capture sharpening plugin in Aperture, before editing in PS?

Thanks,

Brian

iPad 2, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 11:56 AM

1. If sharpening is set in the Raw Fine Tuning brick.

2. Most likely not. Different programs different algorithms

3. Yes

6 replies

Sep 13, 2013 11:13 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank,

Thanks, but I'm still in a quandary.

I got into the "brick," but it doesn't tell me anything. The camera default is being applied, but I have no frame of reference. Is the "1" in Aperture the same as "25" in Adobe ACR? More, less? Absent some baseline, the numbers are useless for any external editing. If I use the RAW fine tuning default in Aperture, then edit in Photoshop, what am I editing? All I can do now is throw out the Fine Tuning default, set everything to "0" and go back to doing everything manually in Photoshop.

Brian

Sep 14, 2013 6:41 AM in response to azartguy

The only way you will be able to correlate the setting in one converter to another is to run tests on each and compare the images. The numbers aren't useless they just don;t do want you would like them to.

If you use PS as Aperture's external editor you are going to be seining PS a tiff or psd file not the Raw file so I'm not sure your concern is justified.

All I can do now is throw out the Fine Tuning default, set everything to "0" and go back to doing everything manually in Photoshop.

Well if you are doing the conversion in PS then the settlings in Aperture have no effect anyway. And if you are doing the conversion in Aperture you are sending a tiff or psd file to PS (a I wrote above) and then the PS converter doesn't come into play.

The only way your concerns would be something to worry about is if you are doing two separate conversions, one in Aperture and one in PS, and wanted the two separate images to be identical but I'm not sure why you would want to do this.

regards

Sep 14, 2013 1:42 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank, thanks for the feedback. Again, I may have put the question poorly but you answered it anyway with "...if you are doing the conversion in Aperture you are sending a tiff or psd file to PS (a I wrote above) and then the PS converter doesn't come into play."

And since you seem to have a handle on all things Aperture, any idea why an image can't be resized? Cropped, yes, but full frame resized no?

Brian

Sep 14, 2013 8:18 PM in response to azartguy

A digital image doesn;t really have a 'size' until it is printed out. It has an aspect ratio and a resolution, so many pixels by so many pixels but those pixels can cover a wide range of screen real estate.

You set the size of the image on export in Aperture, just look at the Image Export presets, you'll see a box labled Size To: you set the size there.

In addition if you print directly from Aperture the size of the print can be set in Aperture's print dialog.

regards

Aperture RAW conversion & sharpening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.