Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

You disk could not be partitioned

I am trying to partition my hard drive using BootCamp but i received the error "You disk could not be partitioned. An error occured while partitioning the disk." This error doesnt really give me any direction as to which direction I can go to find a solution to this problem. What can I do?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 12:32 PM

3 replies

Sep 13, 2013 1:49 PM in response to tuttle323

tuttle323 wrote:

"Your disk could not be partitioned. An error occured while partitioning the disk."

There are two possible causes for this and they can be combined.

1: You have bad sectors on the area of the drive and it can't be formatted.

2: You have OS X data too far on the bottom area of the drive where the BootCamp partition will go and meet the minimal requirements of Windows or the drive is too full.

To solve the first problem, open Disk Utility in your Applications> Utilities folder and click on your OS X Macintosh HD partition.

Click Erase and select Erase Free Space > Zero and click Erase. This will not harm your data, it's only scrubbing the areas on the drive with no or previous deleted data. Do this again for good measure, it does take some time to complete unfortunatly, so set the machine to run overnight on power, no screensaver, sleep etc.

This "hack" has the ability to map off the bad sectors using worthless 0's as bait, the driver firmware will map off these bad areas on the drive.

Once that is finished, use Disk Utility to First Air > Repair Permissions twice (ignore the messages it's ok) next Verify the drive, it should be ok, if not then hold command option r and boot the machine into Internet Recovery and use that Disk Utility to Repair Disk. Reboot normally into OS X again.

You should be good to go now to open BootCamp and partition the drive, however if you get a message then see these (problem #2) to shift your OS X data up and reduce content.

BootCamp: "This disc can not be partitioned/impossible to move files."

How to safely defrag a Mac's hard drive

You disk could not be partitioned

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.