5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2013 10:31 PM by Linc Davis
lburech Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I accidently deleted a note and would like to restore it.  How do I use Time Machine to restore a note?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • William Lloyd Level 7 Level 7 (20,925 points)

Unfortunately, this is an extremely complicated process.  Unless it is critically important, you're better off not trying to restore it.

If you have ANY devices that have the note that haven't yet synced to iCloud, then you should take them offline or in airplane mode FIRST, then find the note in Notes, and email it to yourself, and then paste it as a new note.

It is possible to restore, but you will have to take your machine off the Internet, then restore the ENTIRE notes database, copy the note to a text file, then reconnect the Internet, and put the note back.  And that's the easy way.

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (158,570 points)

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services â–¹ Reveal

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Quit the application if it's running. Restore the selected item from the most recent backup that predates the unwanted changes.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C). In the Finder, select

Go â–¹ Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

• lburech Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm sorry but there is nothing that happens when I try to triple click ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes in the response above.

I can get to com.apple.Notes by going into my library (option GO in the Finder) and opening Containers but don't know what to do from there.  Containers contains three folders with the pathnames:

file://localhost/Users/lburech/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Container.plis t

file://localhost/Users/lburech/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/

file://localhost/Users/lburech/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/OldData/

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (158,570 points)

Restore the whole com.apple.Notes folder.