Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is there any thunderbolt card available for mac pro?

I have a blackmagic intensity extreme, which has thunderbolt port. But I am unable to use it with Mac Pro as there is no thunderbolt port on it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 2:13 PM

22 replies

Sep 29, 2013 12:27 AM in response to guncrusader

Here's a clue at a Thunderbolt PCIe card that may be available for cpu's with an open 16x slot.

HP is now offering a Thunderbolt option for thier Z820 workstation model. In this video the presenter demos the Z820 with the optional Thunderbolt card editing 4k video (he actual holds up the card 8 mins into the video).

This might be the answer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrxEx8ICqME

Sep 29, 2013 3:12 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Here's an interesting read; http://vr-zone.com/articles/thunderbolts-great-pcie-hope/50677.html

Looks like the proposed card will be available to all qualifying motherboards.

It makes sense for Intel to allow other motherboard manufacturers to implement Thunderbolt through

a PCI-e expansion card because they only stand to generate more revenue from a greater number of products using Thunderbolt interconnectivity.

Dec 13, 2013 8:22 PM in response to guncrusader

This is a real problem to which there is currently no solution (that I am aware of). I have a 2012 Mac Pro and would like to use an Apollo QUAD recording interface with the Thunderbolt 2 option (Which turns the Firewire ports into a hub), but there is currently no PCIe card available with a T-bolt 2 interface for existing Mac Pros.

I hope this will change soon, but not soon enough to hold my breath.

Dec 13, 2013 9:12 PM in response to guncrusader

guncrusader wrote:

But I am unable to use it with Mac Pro as there is no thunderbolt port on it.

It is physically impossible to install a thunderbolt interface on any computer not designed for it from the start.

You have two options:

1- Sell the Mac Pro and buy a new computer with a thunderbolt port.

2- Sell the blackmagic intensity extreme and buy a PCIe card for your Mac Pro.

Dec 13, 2013 9:25 PM in response to 5kFilmGuy

5kFilmGuy wrote:

Here's a clue at a Thunderbolt PCIe card that may be available for cpu's with an open 16x slot.

HP is now offering a Thunderbolt option for thier Z820 workstation model.

Actually, no. That computer was designed for thunderbolt from the start. It is a feature enabler card, not an expansion card.

I hope this will change soon, but not soon enough to hold my breath.

There will never be a thunderbolt card for Mac Pros.

Two reasons:

1- Even the 2012 Mac pro used 2 year old hardware, that means even the very last Mac Pro Apple sold last month used 3 year old technology. Its not economical to make new hardware for old technology in a very small market.

2- Thunderbolt communicates directly with the CPU, GPU and PCIe hardware. That means they have to be designed to communicate with the thunderbolt controller. Since thunderbolt was introduced in 2011, a full year after the last Mac Pro (5,1) was designed, its hardware has no possible way to communicate with it.

Thunderbolt is not "an extension of the PCIe bus" like eSATA is an extension of SATA, its an entirely different communication protocol.

If it were just an extension, it would be far cheaper and easier to implement and there would be more than just a handful of products on the market that support it. Right now thunderbolt is making Firewire look like a runaway success!

Dec 17, 2013 9:00 PM in response to DieselFuelForLife

DieselFuelForLife,

I understand and agree with you that the older Mac Pro's will not be able to use Thunderbolt as an addition to the dated hardware. My original thoughts were to create a Hackintosh whos motherboard, CPU, & GPU would be designed for the task. The best that I was able to do with my 2008 8-Core Mac Pro was to install a USB 3.0 PCIe card in it as well as installing Mavericks, doubling the RAM, and adding addtional graphics cards, which has made it a decent editng machine once again!

Jan 16, 2014 1:56 PM in response to guncrusader

Even a MacPro 4,1 is still very serious hardware capable of a great deal of work -all at once! To discount the capabilities of a MacPro because it is not the latest -read:unstable- gamer hardware is a serious mistake at the least. Moreover, Intel is almost certain to release PCIe cards with full thunderbolt 2 capabilities by Q2 of 2014. They are doing this because for most of the PC world, USB 3 is "good enough" and thunderbolt 2 adoption has been less than stellar outside of Mac circles. I can only wonder if Apple will make/allow to be made a thunderbolt 2 card as they might be worried it will cut the new Mac Pro (picture Homer Simpson drooling Maaaaccc Proooo!) but I hope they will as my insanely great 4,1 is still just that, INSANELY GREAT!

is there any thunderbolt card available for mac pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.