Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re: how can i get more video ram in my mac mini 2011?

i have a macbook pro mid 2010 with these specs

Graphics and video support

• NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory5
  • Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors
  • iSight camera
  • Mini DisplayPort

swipe, four-finger swipe, tap, double-tap, and drag capabilities

Processor and memory

• 2.4GHz or 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache
  • 1066MHz frontside bus
  • 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 memory; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 8GB

Storage

• 250GB or 320GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive; optional 320GB or 500GB 5400-rpm hard drive, or 128GB, 256GB, or 512GB solid-state drive6
  • 8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
  • Maximum write: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R; 4x DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD-R; 10x CD-RW
  • Maximum read: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-ROM; 6x DVD-ROM (double layer DVD-9), DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD

i wanted to know if i were to upgrade to 8 gb if the vram is fixed or if it would increase because its "partitioned" on the main memory

<Subject Edited by Host>

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 7:44 AM

2 replies

Sep 13, 2013 3:56 PM in response to edward298

If you are running Lion or Mountain Lion, I'd suggest that you do upgrade to 8 GB of RAM; however, the dedicated VRAM will not change with that. On the other hand, Macs are really good at "sending" the available RAM wherever it is needed, so I wouldn't worry (unless you are into gaming and the requirements call for a higher VRAM).

Sep 13, 2013 5:29 PM in response to edward298

My shared vram went from 256 to 512 when I upgraged from 4GB to 8GB on my 13" MacBook Pro. All the 13" MacBooks have intergrated graphics and I not sure about your machine with a seperate graphics cpu woulld do the same even though its usng the main memory.

Having said that, going to 8GB will make your MacBook faster even f it does not increase the vram.

Re: how can i get more video ram in my mac mini 2011?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.