Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iChat stops working from the start. Help me!!

After using mac for about 1 month, my iChat starts this problem. Every time I open iChat and try to change the status, the app stops working and not responding at all. How to solve this problem???

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 8:50 PM

3 replies

Sep 14, 2013 11:48 AM in response to PurplePurple9

Hi,

Can you confirm that the specs of OS X 10.7.5 is the current level that you are at ? (You have posted in Mountain Lion - OS X 10.8.x)

If so that would mean you are using iChat 6.x

This version does not have the Messages account.

Could you say which account you are trying to Login ?

If the Buddy List is on Show before you try to change the Status what does it actually say is the current State ?

Available ?

Off-Line ?

Disconnected ?

Away ?

User uploaded file
7:48 pm Saturday; September 14, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Sep 28, 2013 12:16 PM in response to PurplePurple9

HI,

OK, it sounds like the app at least Launches.

Can you access the Preferences ?

In iChat > Preferences > Accounts can you enable as many accounts as there are there including the Bonjour one ?

You should have at least two Buddy list show up.

From what you say at least one such as an AIM (Or Jabber) login is reading "Disconnected" and not doing anything when you click to change this.

Does the Bonjour one display fully, even if you have no Bonjour Buddies On line on your LAN (It is for connecting to other Macs that have iChat/Messages with the Bonjour account active.)

If there are no such Buddies it will display as an empty Buddy list but should connect and say Available.

In System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Firewall tab, is the Firewall ON ?

If it is On go to the Options Button and check the "Allow Signed Software" item is ticked and that iChat and IMAgent is in the Allowed List. (I am working in Mountain Lion and yours may only have an Advanced Button. Go there and see if you have).

Do not have Stealth enabled as iChat sends Pings in Video and Audio Only connections.

Basically if other apps like Web Browsers can get on the internet we have to look as to why iChat is not doing this.

Enabling the Bonjour account will tell us if it is a local issue or and Internet one.

If it looks like it is between the internet and the app then the Firewall is the first port of Call.

User uploaded file
8:16 pm Saturday; September 28, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

iChat stops working from the start. Help me!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.