Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap

On our XServe with MacOS X Server 10.6.8 there appears in the dock 'org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap'. This prevents the system from rebooting. How can we remove 'org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap'?

Xserve, OS X Server

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 11:48 PM

9 replies

Sep 14, 2013 7:31 AM in response to Marcel Burkart-Huber

Catalina is part of Apache Tomcat, which is a web services environment. That tool is not part of the default contents of the Dock on OS X Server 10.6, so it's been added. If you don't want it in the Dock.app, then drag it off the Dock.app. Might also want to see if Tomcat is being automatically launched during bootstrap, if you don't want that. Usual launch would be via launchd or maybe via a login item or via a web-related start-up.

Which implies there's something else going on here, or something else that's concerning you related to the OS X Server environment. Could you elaborate a little more on what's happening or the specific text of any diagnostics you're receiving?

Now if Tomcat is running and you're trying to reboot, for instance, then you'll probably want to shut down Tomcat first, or rework the shutdown to perform that shutdown automatically.

If you're intending to run Apache Tomcat and don't want that icon to appear in the Dock, then you'll want to use a command-line editor or TextWrangler text editor (do not use a GUI text editor, Office, nor the TextEdit tool, to edit this file, as these will convert the file to a format that won't be readable by the Unix environment) the catalina.properties file, and add the following configuration setting:

java.awt.headless=true

On a local 10.6 OS X Server box, here's the path to that file:

$ locate catalina.properties

/Library/Tomcat/conf/catalina.properties

$

Sep 14, 2013 8:56 AM in response to MrHoffman

I never installed Apache Tomcat and i don't know, why it ist there. I not only don't want the ..apache..thing in the Dock, i don't wan't it at all, as it blocks me on restarting the server. The main problem isn't that it's in the dock, but that its is running. As soon as the computer starts up, 'org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap' starts up too and runs constantly. It does no harm, but it can't be stopped unless i kill it via the activity app. But it immediatly starts up again. How can i get rid of it?

Does the java.awt.headless=true command stop this so it no more blocks the computer-restart or does it only remove it from the dock?

Sep 15, 2013 8:11 AM in response to Marcel Burkart-Huber

Apache Tomcat is part of OS X Server.

Something here is clearly starting Tomcat. If it's using the installed version of Tomcat and the normal management mechanisms, it's being started in response to the Start Tomcat checkbox in Server Admin.app. (Here's the Apple tech note for starting Tomcat on OS X Server 10.6.)

What happens with your particular system or whether and why this box is checked or if there's something else going on here, I don't know.

FWIW, I make it a practice to never delete parts of the operating system, and to never delete stuff I don't recognize until after I have a backup or a recovery path. If I feel the urge to delete some part of the operating system, I always rename the file, and do not delete it. That way, I can more easily recover the file later, if and variously when that's needed.

Sep 16, 2013 5:06 PM in response to Marcel Burkart-Huber

You're going to have to dig around within your system and locate what's installed and particularly what's starting Catalina and Tomcat here.

There's a command-line startup command — a script — that can be used to start Tomcat, though I don't immediately recall its name. It's also possible to use an add-on Tomcat implementation, and those file paths and file names can definitely vary. Look around in what's getting started at boot.

Alternatively, some package or product you're using might be based on Tomcat and thus starting it. At least some versions of Confluence apparently use Tomcat, and there are many other packages that do. Some packages can even include a version of Tomcat, which makes finding the source more complex.

Some low-level disk-wide command — such as the folliowing Terminal.app command — can be used to try to locate references to the startup, for instance:

sudo grep -i org.apache.catilina.startup -R /

This command may (will?) find other stuff with that reference.

Jul 6, 2014 11:42 AM in response to MrHoffman

Do you have any UPS attached to your mac?

I have the same problem. There is a software installed for UPS management: ViewPower.

The software uses some internal web server to monitor UPS activity which places 'org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap' into the dock.

The thing is; whenever there is a power cut, the UPS sends a message to the computer for safe shut-down, however bootstrap module couldn't be forced quit which also prevents mac to shut-down. Funny, isn't it?

Sep 2, 2016 7:30 PM in response to CemTheMan

I am just experiencing this for the first time after installing UPS monitoring app on a Mac. I updated the app from 'NetGuard2.12" to "Netguardm1.01" which seems to have fixed the issue. I haven't tried restarting yet, but the java icon, which was causing the problem, is now absent from the Dock even if the newer app is launched.

org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.