Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS Mobile Device Management - The SCEP server returned an invalid response

I am in the process of writing an open source iOS mobile device management module in Java. For this I am referring the Apple provided Ruby code at [1]. I have set this up and it works fine for me. Now I need to convert this code to Java. So far I have accomplished to do that up to PKIOperation. In the PKI operation I get "The SCEP server returned an invalid response" which I believe is due to wrong response I sent to device upon PKIOperation.

However when I do search on the internet I get this is something to do with the "maxHttpHeaderSize" as I am using the server as Apache Tomcat. Although I increase that since still it does not get resolved.

Here is the code I need to convert - taken from Apple provided Ruby script

if query['operation']=="PKIOperation"    p7sign =OpenSSL::PKCS7::PKCS7.new(req.body)    store =OpenSSL::X509::Store.new
p7sign
.verify(nil, store,nil,OpenSSL::PKCS7::NOVERIFY) signers = p7sign.signers
p7enc
=OpenSSL::PKCS7::PKCS7.new(p7sign.data) csr = p7enc.decrypt(@@ra_key,@@ra_cert) cert = issueCert(csr,1) degenerate_pkcs7 =OpenSSL::PKCS7::PKCS7.new() degenerate_pkcs7.type="signed" degenerate_pkcs7.certificates=[cert] enc_cert =OpenSSL::PKCS7.encrypt(p7sign.certificates, degenerate_pkcs7.to_der, OpenSSL::Cipher::Cipher::new("des-ede3-cbc"),OpenSSL::PKCS7::BINARY) reply =OpenSSL::PKCS7.sign(@@ra_cert,@@ra_key, enc_cert.to_der,[],OpenSSL::PKCS7::BINARY) res['Content-Type']="application/x-pki-message" res.body = reply.to_der end

So this is how I written this in Java using Bouncycastle library.

X509Certificate generatedCertificate = generateCertificateFromCSR(                privateKeyCA, certRequest, certCA.getIssuerX500Principal()                        .getName());        CMSTypedData msg = new CMSProcessableByteArray(                generatedCertificate.getEncoded());        CMSEnvelopedDataGenerator edGen = new CMSEnvelopedDataGenerator();        edGen.addRecipientInfoGenerator(new JceKeyTransRecipientInfoGenerator(                receivedCert).setProvider(AppConfigurations.PROVIDER));        CMSEnvelopedData envelopedData = edGen
.generate( msg, new JceCMSContentEncryptorBuilder( CMSAlgorithm.DES_EDE3_CBC).setProvider( AppConfigurations.PROVIDER).build()); CMSSignedDataGenerator gen = new CMSSignedDataGenerator(); ContentSigner sha1Signer = new JcaContentSignerBuilder( AppConfigurations.SIGNATUREALGO).setProvider( AppConfigurations.PROVIDER).build(privateKeyRA); List<X509Certificate> certList = new ArrayList<X509Certificate>(); CMSTypedData cmsByteArray = new CMSProcessableByteArray( envelopedData.getEncoded()); certList.add(certRA); Store certs = new JcaCertStore(certList); gen.addSignerInfoGenerator(new JcaSignerInfoGeneratorBuilder( new JcaDigestCalculatorProviderBuilder().setProvider( AppConfigurations.PROVIDER).build()).build( sha1Signer, certRA)); gen.addCertificates(certs); CMSSignedData sigData = gen.generate(cmsByteArray,true); return sigData.getEncoded();

The returned result here will be output in to the servlet output stream with the content type "application/x-pki-message".

It seems I get the CSR properly and I generate the X509Certificate using following code.

public static X509Certificate generateCertificateFromCSR(        PrivateKey privateKey, PKCS10CertificationRequest request,        String issueSubject) throws Exception{    Calendar targetDate1 =Calendar.getInstance();    targetDate1.setTime(new Date());    targetDate1.add(Calendar.DAY_OF_MONTH,-1);    Calendar targetDate2 =Calendar.getInstance();    targetDate2.setTime(new Date());    targetDate2.add(Calendar.YEAR,2);    // yesterday
Date validityBeginDate = targetDate1.getTime(); //in2 years
Date validityEndDate = targetDate2.getTime(); X509v3CertificateBuilder certGen = new X509v3CertificateBuilder( new X500Name(issueSubject),BigInteger.valueOf(System .currentTimeMillis()), validityBeginDate, validityEndDate, request.getSubject(), request.getSubjectPublicKeyInfo()); certGen.addExtension(X509Extension.keyUsage,true, new KeyUsage( KeyUsage.digitalSignature |KeyUsage.keyEncipherment)); ContentSigner sigGen = new JcaContentSignerBuilder( AppConfigurations.SHA256_RSA).setProvider( AppConfigurations.PROVIDER).build(privateKey); X509Certificate issuedCert = new JcaX509CertificateConverter() .setProvider(AppConfigurations.PROVIDER).getCertificate( certGen.build(sigGen)); return issuedCert;}

The generated certificate commonn name is,

Common Name: mdm(88094024-2372-4c9f-9c87-fa814011c525)

Issuer: mycompany Root CA (93a7d1a0-130b-42b8-bbd6-728f7c1837cf), None

[1] - https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/NetworkingInternet/Concept ual/iPhoneOTAConfiguration/Introduction/Introduction.html

iPhone 5

Posted on Sep 14, 2013 2:51 AM

There are no replies.

iOS Mobile Device Management - The SCEP server returned an invalid response

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.