Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Friend's profile picture not showing in Mac mail messages

So recently I updated a friend's profile in my contacts with a picture. As expected, future correspondences through e-mail would now show his picture in the upper right hand corner of each message, as did mine when I sent one. At this point, I only had ONE e-mail address (a Apple/iCloud address) for him but through a discussion we were having he told me that he actually used another one more often, which was a gmail address. So, naturally I added it to my contact profile of him but then I noticed that his picture would not appear in the future emails I got from him. I thought perhaps it was a prioritization issue within his profile so I simply reversed the order of the emails with his gmail one showing first, then his iCloud one. Still, nothing.

So, any theories as to why this is happening? Obviously this is NOT the end of the world but I'm still curious as how to fix it so his picture shows up in emails.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 14, 2013 2:22 AM

9 replies

Sep 14, 2013 10:37 AM in response to MKatzenbach

It is my impression that those pictures are a LOCAL phenomenon, and are not sent with the emails.

If you have a recognizable contact on the receiving computer, (? In Address Book card, maybe?) and it has a picture in it, you will show the picture, and not otherwise.

One of the great things about the Apple Discussions Community is that if my impression is wrong, and this works differently than my understanding, there will be a pig-pile here within a few hours as readers with the correct information post to "straighten me out".

Sep 14, 2013 6:27 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I don't think it's a local problem because most of my contacts have profile pictures that are not on my local drive or any drive for that matter yet there picture still remains within the contact profile. For example, I have Apple's customer service number in my contacts and I used he Apple logo as the profile picture. That logo pic is no longer on ANY of my hardrives or on my phone yet it appears within the contact profile. That's why I feel something is fishy here.

Sep 14, 2013 8:44 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Yes. In fact BOTH old and new email address are in his contact profile. So, in the begining there was only one address, his old address which I learned he doesn't really use anymore. So then I added the new one but kept the old one just in case. Here is the order I kept them:

1) old email

Then, once I learned of his new email:

1) old email

2) new email

After I learned the that the old email wasn't really used anymore, I switched the order:

1) new email

2) old email

I'm not sure if the order in which the email addresses are listed matters but I thought I'd mention it in case it does

Sep 17, 2013 11:11 PM in response to MKatzenbach

Ok, I have an update: The issue regarding the profile picture for my friend showing has been solved simply due to Apple's recommended updates from the app store. Now there's a new related issue though. My friend, who we'll call "Dan", has his full name spelled out when I receive an e-mail from him which is different from how I have it in my contacts. I have him listed as Dan, not Daniel (which is what shows up when HE e-mails or replies to me). I checked to see if he was perhaps e-mailing or replying to me from a different e-mail address but he's not. So shouldn't his name be spelled as I have it listed in my contacts?

Friend's profile picture not showing in Mac mail messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.