Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with migration assistant?

Hi all. My mom recently purchased a brand new 27 inch iMac. She wants to use it mostly for viewing pictures of the family and whatnot. I have a regular Macbook I bought back in 2008, and am trying to transfer photos from the Macbook to the iMac, so my mom can easily view them on iPhoto or what have you. I did a bit of googling and found out about Migration Assistant.

Two days ago, I set up the migration assistant on both computers, wirelessly, and it all appeared to go smoothly (the numbers matched up, etc) and it said something along the lines of 11 hours and x minutes remaining. I just thought, okay, there is a lot of data. (I was transferring my user to the iMac). I made sure both computers couldn't sleep, but for five hours, it was frozena t six hours and x minutes. So I stopped it, and tried again. Froze again for two hours at one time.

I googled around a bit more and found out I could connect through the ethernet cable. I took it and connected my computers, went through the steps, etc, and to my glee it said from the beginning "59 minutes left" Hoorah! So obviously I was excited and let it run over night, expecting it to be done by the morning. Wrong! Nine hours later, it was still stuck at 33 minutes.

What's going on here? The iMac does have enough room to transfer the information, space wise. The ethernet connection was totally okay, and the internet connection for wireless was full and fine as well.

iMac, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Sep 14, 2013 6:14 AM

3 replies

Sep 14, 2013 6:37 AM in response to sdabdul13

Start by running Disk Utility on your MacBook & running the "Verify Disk" (not permissions) step. If that turns up any problems, follow the instructions to startup from another drive (like your grey system disk) & repair the disk.

Whether not that works, note that Migration Assistant is intended to migrate system settings Applications, & user accounts from one Mac to another one. So your method won't make your photos easily visible to your Mom, unless she logs into your user account or you copy them to the shared user's folder.

Sep 14, 2013 7:18 AM in response to R C-R

I ran the Verify Disk on the Macbook and it said "the volume Macintosh HD appeares to be OK".

And I know that, and my mom does too. (I explained how she would have to get into my user and look at the photos) but I could also copy them over. Is there anything else I can do? Why the massive holdup when transferring? (Thanks for the help, btw!)

Sep 14, 2013 7:29 PM in response to R C-R

See, after I did the verify thing again, I put the ethernet cable and connected the two computers, closed everything, and ran migration assisant. I also sat by the computer to make sure nothing would come up to slow it down or whatever. It started with saying one hour and seven minutes remaining, and went steadily to thirty five minutes, which it's been at for the past fourty minutes. ?

Help with migration assistant?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.