To upgrade to Server.app 2.2.1 you would have to buy Server.app again and you would first have to buy an upgrade to Mountain Lion i.e. 10.8. The upgrade from 10.7.5 to 10.8 is not free and Server.app 2.2.1 requires Mountain Lion.
However as OS X Mavericks (aka. 10.9) and its matching Server.app is due out soon (probably sometime in October) you might want to wait a bit longer.
You are not forced to upgrade from 10.7.5, it will continue working just as it is.
Are you saying that to move to the next "level" (10.8.n) that indeed the "Server.app" is what I need to do?
Seems awfully dicey. Why isn't Apple pushing me something called "OS X Server 10.8 Upgrade"?
I have to first "buy and upgrade to Mountain Lion i.e. 10.8"?
"The upgrade from 10.7.5 to 10.8 is not free".
Money is not an object here. Again, the PATH TO UPGRADE isn't being provided through any internal systems (a.k.a. Finder/../Software Update).
This is a huge mis-step for Apple.
Sure "Mavericks" is soon due. And I'll bet that the path to (seamlessly) move from 10.7.5 is even more obscure.
The App Store does not have an upgrade price mechanism however Apple have (compared to the past) reduced the new full price of both OS X and the server software so that it is actually much cheaper than even the previous upgrade pricing.
John, thanks for the follow-up!
I'm debating now on whether to hold off upgrading my Lion Server to Mountain Lion + OS X Server, or waiting until 10.9 (Mavericks) is out. Any thoughts?
Also, does anyone know if following the steps "Installing OS X Mountain Lion over Lion Server" (at: http://help.apple.com/advancedserveradmin/mac/10.8/#apd41CA43B8-DAD1-495E-940F-5 BB3339DC2AB) will shut down remote access to the machine?
The Mac Mini is sitting in a remote data center, and I do not have physical access to the machine. I am currently running 10.7.5 with remote access configured. If I download and install Mountain Lion, will remote access cease to function?
Thanks for any advice! —michael
As far as I am aware installing Moutain Lion over Lion should not change the Screen Sharing settings.
With regards to Mavericks, from a cost point of view it will be slightly cheaper to wait for Mavericks and in the medium term save possibly upgrading twice but some people take the view running a brand new operating system in a server is too risky and would instead wait.