Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I recently bought the newest macbook pro with only 120 GB of disk space I need to upgrade and was wondering if this would work with my computer 500GB New Sata 2.5" hard drive?

I bought the newest macbook pro 13" with only 120 GB of space. I quickly used all of the space up and need a lot more. I was wondering if this disk is compatible with the model i have.

500GB New Sata 2.5" hard drive

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 14, 2013 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2013 10:08 AM

No. The flash storage on the Retina model is held in by a screw on the logic baord.

If you don't mind voiding your warranty, you can get a 480GB flash storage unit from OWC and install it yourself.

Clinton

10 replies

Sep 14, 2013 10:30 AM in response to Pccaza

Your best practical option is buying a 1TB external HD for $65

The "low" capacity of the SSD on the Air and entry level Retina are meant to be working platforms for these computers.

Meaning ALL your programs and your working data (stuff you use at least every week).

To try to use either the Air or Retina as a storage platform of any king (lots of pics, music, movies etc.) is both not indicated or practical.

external storage, quality too, is absurdly cheap right now. 😊

You asked:

These are very expensive theres no way that an hdd drive would be compatible with my Mac?

yes, a superslim external HD.

see this: only 7mm thick

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B009F1CXI2/ref=s r_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1377642728&sr=1-1&keywords=toshiba+slim+500gb

Or better still this HUGE HD, which is very small, very reliable and very cheap:

2 Terabytes, 2.5" and only $119

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Basics-Portable-HDTB120XK3CA/dp/B00ARJD56K

Sep 14, 2013 11:10 AM in response to Pccaza

Yes, you can format the external in Exfat for read/write from both PC and Mac.

Just offload all your infrequent use files such as pics, movies, music etc. onto the external HD. Or you can partition the HD for your Mac stuff and the other end for your PC files.

You should, even IF your Retina had a 2TB internal drive, still have a backup (preferably 2) and archive for your data.

So,.... you still NEEDED an external drive, unless you think losing lots of priceless data , pics, and work is a lovely thought (and of course nobody does).

Ideally, having 2 external HD is a perfect idea, one as a time machine backup, and another as an archive of your personal data, pics, documents, music etc. only that you keep in a safe, firebox ($20 Walmart).

"2 backups is 1, and 1 is none". Never assume your data is safe in any "one place". 😊

I recently bought the newest macbook pro with only 120 GB of disk space I need to upgrade and was wondering if this would work with my computer 500GB New Sata 2.5" hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.