Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SU password not working

When I type su and enter my admin password in the terminal, it rejects the password as invalid. Is my admin password not the same as the superuser password. If its not the same, then how do I retrieve my su password. I never set it anywhere. The only password I set was my admin password. Any idea anyone?

Thanks in advance...

Mac OS X (10.4.6), Macbook 1.83 Ghz, iPod G5

Posted on Jun 21, 2006 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2006 8:42 PM

Hi Huckster,
One doesn't login as the root user on Mac OS X. By not giving root a password, in one fell swoop Apple has stopped the script kiddies in their little tracks. The "preferred" method for accessing root privileges is via the sudo command. Preface a simple command with sudo and you will be prompted for the password of the current user. If that user is an admin user, the command will run as root.

If you want a root shell just execute the command:

sudo -s

After authenticating that command you will be running in a root subshell just as if you'd typed su with no arguments.
--
Gary
~~~~
There are worse things in life than death. Have you
ever spent an evening with an insurance salesman?
-- Woody Allen
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2006 8:42 PM in response to Huckster

Hi Huckster,
One doesn't login as the root user on Mac OS X. By not giving root a password, in one fell swoop Apple has stopped the script kiddies in their little tracks. The "preferred" method for accessing root privileges is via the sudo command. Preface a simple command with sudo and you will be prompted for the password of the current user. If that user is an admin user, the command will run as root.

If you want a root shell just execute the command:

sudo -s

After authenticating that command you will be running in a root subshell just as if you'd typed su with no arguments.
--
Gary
~~~~
There are worse things in life than death. Have you
ever spent an evening with an insurance salesman?
-- Woody Allen

SU password not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.