Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs listed under incorrect artist in Ipod (listed correctly in Itunes)

So I'm having an issue getting songs to appear under the correct artist.

The artist's name is 3lau. several of his songs are listed with him as the artist. Other list him as the Album artist. It is all grouped correctly on Itunes.

When i sync my ipod (nano 6th gen) I cannot find the artist "3lau" I find all his songs under "Porter Robinson." Porter robinson is never listed as an artist in Itunes.

What's more odd is that the music is listed in alphabetically the correct spot in artists:

2am Club

3JS

Porter Robinson

5A - will.i.am

It really seems glitched to the wrong name.

I've looked through the itunes listing of artists and excluding those artists that i do not have checked music, the list doesn't match what the ipod shows. Why? Is there a way to force them to match? To everyone who thinks to ask, i have group compilations off on my ipod.

I'd email Apple support, but like most conceited worldwide companies you can't actually contact them for help. So i'm asking the nice people on the community site that do apple's work for free.

Thank you all.

Itunes Yo. Software is a product.-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Sep 14, 2013 10:34 AM

6 replies

Sep 14, 2013 2:17 PM in response to TheHairyBaboon

Try removing all the affected songs that are on the iPod. Then, load them back.

If you have the iPod set to sync the Entire music library, you will not be able to specifically remove songs. Please most back.

Also, in iTunes, show the affected songs on a list. Make sure the Artist and Album Artist entries are entered EXACTLY the same for all songs that are by "3lau." You can change the entries from the Get Info window (right click - Get Info), on the Info tab.

To sync any changes you made (to the iPod) will probably require removing the song files from the iPod and syncing them again.

Sep 14, 2013 6:53 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

I have unchecked all the songs that show when "3lau" is searched. synced, checked they were off and porter robinson was not listed, then rechecked them and porter robinson came back.

The album artist and artist names vary somewhat wildly throughout the songs. I'm hesitant to try renaming them all because it would be difficult to return them to their prior values if it doesn't work.

I remember from a previous ipod that sometimes i would have about as many artists as songs because i have a lot of albums with various artists. but now itunes seems to condense them pseudo-intelligently.

If I look at artists on Itunes, it groups them more or less properly. but my ipod screws that up and cuts down the size of the list.

Sep 14, 2013 9:50 PM in response to TheHairyBaboon

If the artist and album artist entries are not the same, the iPod is not going to group them together when you browse by artist. So you need to make the entries consistent. The best way to do that is to select all of the songs from the artist at one time on a list in iTunes. If they are scattered on the list, create a new playlists in iTunes. Put all of the songs by "3lau" on tha playlist. Then, do a Select All (from the Edit menu) on that playlist, so that all of its songs are selected. Right click on the selection and Get Info. In the window's Info tab, enter what you want for Artist and Album Artist (I believe the iPod uses the Artist entry). This will ensure that ALL of the songs have precisely the same entry.

I don't understand what is happening with this Porter Robinson issue. If you are syncing your iTunes library to the iPod (so all songs on the iPod are in your iTunes library), you may want to do a Restore on the iPod using iTunes. The Restore button is on the iPod's Summary screen in iTunes. This will erase the iPod, re-install its software, and set it to default settings. Then, re-sync the iPod. That should clear up any data issue on the iPod.

Sep 14, 2013 11:50 PM in response to TheHairyBaboon

You didin't state that you have tried a Restore. But if you have already, that is good to know...

How are you browsing your library on the iPod? If you go through Music -> Artists, it should be sorted into "sets" of songs by the entry in Artist for the songs. So all songs with the exact same Artist entry are grouped together, into a "set." If you go through Music -> Songs, the songs should be sorted alphabetically and the entry of Artist is not relevant.

There is no way to view it like you do in iTunes on your computer, because your computer has a big screen. On the computer, you can sort the list by Artist, and you get to see all of those songs right there, not just the name of the Artist (which you have to select to see the songs). So, if the Artist entries are not precisely the same, but close, you may still see the songs on the list. How are you viewing your list on the computer, in iTunes?

Also, you should view the iPod's list of songs in iTunes, to make sure all of the songs you expect are on the iPod. You can do so by selecting the iPod under DEVICES in the sidebar, and clicking the small triangle to the left of the iPod to drop down the iPod's content list (indented under the iPod). Click on Music there. The list of songs on the iPod is shown to the right.

Sep 15, 2013 12:49 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

ok, on my ipod i go music->artists and scroll to where on Itunes it shows as:

2AM Club

3LAU

3LAU & Acetronik

5A - will.i.am

But on my ipod it shows as

2AM Club

3JS

Porter Robinson

5A - will.i.am

I think what is going on is when Itunes shows lists by "Artist" it intelligently works out whether to group by album artist or artist.

My ipod on the other hand seems to sort of take just the artist, but also to assign stuff to the wrong artist.

I just tried making all songs that showed up with the artist as "3LAU" part of a compilation, then uncheck them and synced, then rechecked them and synced. Still having the issue.

Interestingly, i checked through the songs listed on my ipod under porter robinson and all of them have their artist changed to Porter Robinson (feat. Carly Rae Jepson). The albums listed under porter robinson however show the correct artist, but when you look at the songs, the artist has been changed. The listed artist name, "Porter Robinson (feat. Carly Rae Jepson)" appears only once as an artist in one of the albums on Itunes.

Songs listed under incorrect artist in Ipod (listed correctly in Itunes)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.