Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Applications freeze until window is moved

I've been having an ongoing problem with my system. Safari, as well as other applications keep freezing, and the only way to unfreeze them is to grab the open application window at the top of the screen and move the window. Though it happens with other apps, Safari is what I use most, and it happens every 10 seconds to 1 minute. As an example, I can type a web address or search term in the address bar and hit enter, and nothing will happen until I move the window and then it will load. Or scrolling will stop working on a page until I move the window, or I can click a link, but it won't launch until I move the window.

I run multiple accounts on the mac, and each has the same issues. I've repaired permissions, have installed Saphos and run virus searches (nothing found), have removed Safari extensions, have unplugged peripherals, have viewed activity monitor seeing nothing of significance, and have reindexed Spotlight. This has been done to most of the individual accounts as well. Running Safari on the guest account works fine.

Another non-Safari example is changing user accounts. After selecting an account to login to it often freezes before I can enter my password and I get a beach ball that doesn't spin. I have to press the power button for a second to force it to sleep, and then wake it up to try to enter a password in time.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 14, 2013 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2013 3:59 PM

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.
The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, or by corruption of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled on some models, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain iMacs. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.
The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2013 3:59 PM in response to expatinlux

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.
The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, or by corruption of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled on some models, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain iMacs. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.
The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Sep 15, 2013 12:08 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

I did the boot in safe mode where I didn't have the problem anymore. I rebooted normally and it looks like the problem is gone! I don't know if it was safe mode or a delay in the reindexing under spotlight, but either way for now it appears to be working. I'll repost to this discussion if I start to experience the problem again.

Thanks again.

Applications freeze until window is moved

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.