Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My own Battery Drain Issues on iPhone 5

Hello guys, I've just created an account here to share my many issues with iPhone 5.

Well, this wasn't my Apple's 1st product, as I've had Ipod touch 2g and 3g, as well as an iPhone 3g. But it's my first time experiencing crazy battery issues with an Apple product, wich is really sad and disappoint, since this is the MOST expensive cell phone in my country (Brazil).

It all started about a week after I bought my iPhone 5. One morning I was on the bus, going to work, and my iPhone had about 99% battery remaining. 1h20 later, when I arrived at work, I had about 80% battery, so I panicked.

Suddenly I realized I was a victim of the common i5 battery drain. I was loosing 1% battery each 3~5 minutes IN STAND BY. And my settings are the same as they've ever been: wi-fi off, 3G off, 4G off (since it's not available in Brazil), brightness on minimum, no weak cell phone coverage etc. So, I shouldn't be experiencing this at all.

After reading lots of threads around the web, I realized that the ONLY solution to this would RESET AND START YOUR IPHONE AS A NEW ONE. No backups, no deleting apps and data. Sometimes removing email accounts would work, but as I didn't use this stuff, restarting my phone seemed to be the solution.

So I did it and, apparently, my problems were solved. My phone has worked perfectly for 2+ months. And then I let it fully discharge - but it's was not the first time it' happened. After I recharged for 4h, I started loosing battery really fast again, so the battery drain have came back. It was so frustrating.

Then I sent my iphone to an authorized reseller and they manage to give me a new replacement phone. They've checked my old i5 and detected a battery issue. My charger and cable were also tested but they were ok.

Well, after the very first charge on my new phone - and I've set it up as a new phone - the battery drain started again. I couldn't believe it.

So now I'm waiting for my 3rd iphone 5 in 3 months...

PS: My original iPhone 5 was bought in the USA, and the replacement one came from Brazil. Both were running iOS 6.1.4 when the issues started.

After all that, here are my conclusions:

1) In normal conditions, with wi-fi, 3G and LTE off, you should expect your iPhone 5 to waste 1% of battery every 1h30~2h15 on STANDBY. This is based on my best iphone performance and on Apple's information: iPhone 5 should have 225h of battery time (in standby) at it's best. Since 100% = 225h, every 2h15min you should expect to "waste" 1% of battery, on standby.

Sometimes, overnight, your phone might have an even better battery life: my friend only lost 1% for about 8h/9h overnight. But this is just not common. Expect to loose about 2%~3% every night with all apps closed and no wifi/3G/LTE.

2) If you detect a battery drain, GO TO AN APPLE STORE/RESELLER RIGHT THE WAY. Don't even bother trying a reset, as I did, because it might solve the problem for a while, but it CAN come back. Go to the apple store and ask for a diagnostic of your phone and battery. It will save you a lot of time.

3) There are MANY causes to battery drains. The most common ones seem to be: 1- Push notifications/email related stuff -> Reset email, internet and settings. 2- Facebook app -> reinstall app. 3- Defective battery - go to apple store/genius and ask for a replacement phone.

4) If an iPhone comes from factory with battery issues, expect AT LEAST ONE other issue. My original phone's touch screen was unresponsive when charging on PC and connect to iTunes and my replacement phone's microphone was not working properly. So expect other defective parts

5) With my experience, I've realized I might have discovered A NEW CAUSE TO BATTERY DRAIN: A DEFECTIVE NANO-SIM CARD. Why? Well, because it's the only thing that I have used on both my iPhones (original and replacement ones). And it's the only thing thats has never been tested (both my charger and cable were tested on apple's reseller and were ok). And in my replacement phone, after I removed the SIM, I started loosing 1% battery every 1h20, when on stand by and with no wi-fi, 3G or LTE. So, if you have a battery issue CONSIDER THE SIM CARD TO BE THE PROBLEM.

Also, when my replacement phone was near any amplifier/pc speaker, it would make the amp make that "call or text incoming" sound. (to understand this, put your phone near an amplifier/speaker and ask for someone to call you). This makes me believe that the SIM card was, somehow, defective and making my phone receiving data (and I mean only telephone data, like related to calls and sms) when it shouldn't.

----

That's all my friends. If anyone has ever experienced this crazy issues, please try to help me. I'm getting a new sim card, iOS7 and my 3rd replacement phone and let's see if it works as it should.

Sorry for the MANY mistakes, my English is not good =\.

Cheers from Brazil!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Sep 14, 2013 3:48 PM

There are no replies.

My own Battery Drain Issues on iPhone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.