Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft adds IMAP support to Outlook.com (formally Hotmail/Live Mail) email

Microsoft finally added IMAP support to their Outlook.com (formally Hotmail/Live Mail) email accounts.

This now means that you can connect to your online Outlook.com email account using a proper email application like Mail on the Mac and all your email will remain in sync between all your devices. That includes your computer and your smartphone and/or tablet.

Why would you want this. Because web browsers make poor email applications whereas a proper email application like Mail on the Mac makes managing your email easier and more efficient. Plus, while you are using the computer, you can keep the email application running in the background and be alerted to incoming email as soon as it arrives rather than having to log-in using the web browser and hitting refresh to check for new email.

How to setup Mail on the Mac to access your Outlook.com email account.

Launch the Mail application buy clicking on its icon on the Dock.

User uploaded file

Select ‘Preferences’ from the Mail menu

User uploaded file

With the ‘Accounts’ tab selected click on the Add ‘+’ button in the bottom left corner of the window.

User uploaded file

In the ‘Add Account’ pane fill-in the ‘Full Name:’ and ‘Email Address:’ fields but leave the ‘Password:’ field blank.

IMPORTANT! When filling in the ‘Email Address:’ field only fill-in the part of the address before the ‘@’ symbol.

For example: If your email address is janedoe@hotmail.com just fill-in ‘janedoe’

Click the ‘Continue’ button.

User uploaded file

In the ‘Incoming Mail Server’ pane select ‘IMAP’ in the ‘Account Type:’ pull-down menu.

In the ‘Description:’ field add Outlook Mail or something else descriptive so you know the account settings are for your Outlook.com email account.

In the ‘Incoming Mail Server:’ field add ‘imap-mail.outlook.com’

In the ‘User Name:’ field add your full email address.

In the “Password:’ field add you password.

Click the ‘Continue’ button.

User uploaded file

In the ‘Outgoing Mail Server’ pane the ‘Description:’ field should already be filled-in base on the previous pane.

In the ‘Outgoing Mail Server:’ field add ‘smtp-mail.outlook.com’

Add a checkmark to ‘Use only this server’ if it is not already there.

Add a checkmark to ‘Use Authentication’ if it is not already there.

In the ‘User Name:’ field add your full email address.

In the “Password:’ field add you password.

Click the ‘Continue’ button to finish.

User uploaded file

Test the account by sending email to and from the account.

If you don't have another email account to do this from ask a friend or family member to send you a test email and then reply to it to complete your testing.

Posted on Sep 14, 2013 4:22 PM

9 replies

Mar 17, 2014 3:05 PM in response to cxdix720

cxdix720

It's been a while since I tried this. I found it buggy and stopped using it.

The problem I was having had to do with deleteing messages in the Mail application on the Mac only to find out that when I logged into the Outlook.com account with a web browser that the email was still there.

There were a couple of other problems as well that don't come to mind right now but if you read through the comments section(or seach for my name) in the page linked below you'll see what I mean. And the problems were not isolated to Mail on the Mac, the same problems occured with Thunderbird as well.

http://blogs.office.com/2013/09/12/outlook-com-now-has-imap/

Let us know how thing are working out for you.

Mar 29, 2014 9:49 AM in response to Gino Cerullo

Hi,

I've just bought a Macbook Pro (having used an old Macbook for many years). I never set up Mail on my old Macbook but have a hotmail and a yahoo account on my iPhone. I've configured Mail on the Macbook Pro to use my yahoo account with no problems, but the hotmail one is more difficult. I managed to set it up and get all of my existing emails, and created new folders. However, when I moved or deleted emails from my Macbook, they hadn't actually been moved or deleted on account - although when I logged into hotmail using Safari, the new folders were there! Also, new hotmail emails are not coming into Mail.

Any thoughts? I've checked the account settings and they're all set up as suggested above.

Thanks!

Microsoft adds IMAP support to Outlook.com (formally Hotmail/Live Mail) email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.