Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto "buy book" order fails at end of upload

I have created a 20 pg hard-covered book in iPhoto which I can preview with no problems and I can create a pdf version of it (34.6MB). However, when attempting to buy the book, I get an error message with CANCEL/RETRY as my options at the very end of the upload process. I have tried the following, but still no success:

(1) safe boot - iPhoto crashes immediately at "BUY BOOK" selection

(2) set energy savers to off - dies at end of upload

(3) duplicated the book and tried to purchase duplicated version - dies at end of upload

(4) changed the theme of the book and tried to purchase it - dies at end of upload

(5) created a simple card and purchased it with no problems (so my account is fine) and I cancelled the order thereafter

Each page of the book has 2 portrait photos with minimal text underneath. The largest photo size is 4.6MB. All photos are JPGs. I rebooted my iMac each time before trying (2)-(5) above. I am running version 9.4.3 (720.91) of iPhoto. I have turned off my TimeMachine backup too and have all other applications closed when I attempt to purchase the book. To date, I have never had a problem purchasing books (last one in Dec 2012).

Thanks for any suggestions!

iPhoto '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 14, 2013 5:12 PM

7 replies

Sep 15, 2013 11:00 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for the reply! I am able to create a PDF while in normal boot mode. I am trying to do so in safe boot but it is sitting for quite some time in the "assembling book" process with nothing seemingly happening (but it doesn't say iphoto not responding if I control click on iphoto). I am trying to create an 8.5x11 hard cover book. A soft cover attempt of the same size also caused the same problem. I can upload the PDF of the book to Viovio (another printing service that accepts iphoto book pdf's with no problem but have never used them before and wonder about print quality). I suspect that this is an upload bug?? (This reply is from my iPad so as to not disrupt the buy book attempt)

Sep 15, 2013 11:07 AM in response to A_M_W

Your problem is certainly unique. Everyone else seems to have the opposite problem: can't create PDF in normal mode but can in Safe Mode and orders from there.

I'd start with downloading and reapplying the OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.5 (Combo) updater and try ordering again.

Thanks for the info about Viovio. That's the first I've heard about it and many have asked if there were such a service. Now I can pass it along.

Sep 15, 2013 2:06 PM in response to Old Toad

Sadly, no change after updating v10.8.5(combo). A normal boot with an attempt to "buy book" from iPhoto, gets almost to the end of the upload and then gives me the following error:

User uploaded file

In Safe boot, I get to the beginning of the Assembly process and iPhoto crashes. Here is a portion of the problem details:

User uploaded file

I compiled my book on Thursday evening, thinking that would be the painstaking part. Purchasing it has become too much of a time consuming adventure! I did call Apple Technical Support last evening and the service agent suggested that I check the Apple Support Community discussions, so thank you for taking a greater interest in my problem.

One other thing I found regarding problems submitting photobook orders is at the bottom of http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2516. An excerpt from this webpage is below, but I can't find the "NetServices" entry in my Keychain Access window to try this fix. Do you think this is a piece to my puzzle or simply old info as it was last modified on May 24, 2012?

Again, I was able to order a photocard (cancelled the order within 90 minute window) as a test, so I don't believe I have an account problem.

----------------------

excerpt:

If you are using iPhoto '08 or iPhoto '09 and are unable to submit your order after following the steps above, please follow these steps to reset your Keychain:

1. Quit iPhoto.
  2. From the Finder menu bar, choose Go > Utilities to access your Utilities folder (or press Shift-Command-U).
  3. In your Utilities folder, open Keychain Access.
  4. Find the "NetServices" entry in your Keychain Access window.
  5. Select the "NetServices" entry and press the delete key.
  6. Reopen iPhoto and attempt to place your order again.
  7. You should be prompted to enter your account information if you deleted the Keychain entry successfully.
  8. After entering your account information, you should be able to complete your order.

If you are unsuccessful with submitting your order, please contact Apple Technical Support.

Sep 15, 2013 3:40 PM in response to A_M_W

The keychain access info in my previous post got me looking carefully at my keychain stuff and here is what I've discovered ..

I still use my .mac email address and used it to sign-in for the "buy book" process.

My keychain access says the following:

User uploaded file

Long story short - my book is ordered when I purchased the book using my .icloud alias. Yay!

Interestingly though, I used the same .mac email address to successfully buy a photo card and to download from itunes. And, my confimation email came to my .mac alias (not .icloud).

Hope this info helps someone else.

iPhoto "buy book" order fails at end of upload

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.