Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Codec & Other Questions

I shoot with a Canon 5D MK II and most recently a Canon Vixia HF G30.

The 5D records h.264 in 30 fps or 24 fps at various resolutions. So I just shoot in either 30 fps at 1920 x 1080 or 24 fps at 1920 x 1080

The G 30 can record in avch or mp4. Quicktime Pro doesn't seem to see any difference between footage from the 5D or the G30 when the G30 is recording mp4.

If I am going to use both cameras together and edit in FCPX and want the best quality footage I can get, what camera setting should I be using?

AVCHD or MP4 ?

For recording mode I can select :

28 Mbps LPCM (59.94P)

28Mbps (59.94P)

24 Mbps LPCM at 30 fps or 24 fps

24 Mbps at 30 fps or 24 fps

I assume that 28 Mbps should yield the best quality if I want 30fps, assuming FCPX conforms the 60 fps to 30fps to match the 5D footage.

The G 30 can alos be setup for User Bit Output modes of eithe fixed or pulldown ? This is over my head. Which should I be using ?

The user bit type can alos be set to Settting, Time or Date. Another adjustment that I don't understand.

The user manual is pretty vague about the impact of these settings.

My final out put is web video and DVD. Sometimes an HD projector.

Any help in understanding these settings would be appreciated.

Posted on Sep 14, 2013 6:32 PM

1 reply

Codec & Other Questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.