Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac screen goes black at 50% brightness

Hi everyone

This is my first post in this community - I would be so grateful for your help. In late 2011 I bought my wife the biggest screen imac - it was a mid or late 2011 intel version. Since then for one reason or another she has hardly used it - perhaps it has been switched on for a total of 3-4 months over all that time. Anyway, I have kept the operating system completely updated and we've started using it again recently - but something strange has started to happen. When you adjust the brightness to 50% or below, the screen goes completely dark. And when you have it on 100% brightness, it's not that bright - probably about where 50% used to be before! Now, it was brand new and hasn't been used much, so I cannot believe something could have happened to the bulbs. It seems like the brightness control is somehow out of sync so it thinks 50% is 0% and 100% is 50%!! I have googled around but cannot find anyone who has had this problem - unless I'm using the wrong search terms. Can anyone please help me out? It's so frustrating!

Many thanks in advance

James

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), intel

Posted on Sep 15, 2013 3:07 AM

4 replies

Sep 26, 2013 8:26 PM in response to thegoodsirjames

Well this forum is useful, isn't it? Next time I think I will just go into a dark room and talk to myself for a while. And if I want to make it truly authentic, I will have myself waste some time registering and signing in before I enter.

But for anyone else who has this problem in the future: I have taken said imac to the shop and they say they think the problem is with the inverter board, and that it could have been caused by a power surge.

That's all for now! It has been really great getting to know myself through this interesting monologue. May I wish myself all the best for the future.

x

imac screen goes black at 50% brightness

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.