2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2013 11:38 PM by PaulMacrascal
JDH from WA Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi I am having trouble with the vault backing up. It seems to freeze, as does the program- I am unable to close Aperture or do anything once it gets stuck. I am trying a new vault because I purchased a new External HD. Does anyone have any ideas? I have a large library so I let it run over night thinking that was an issue, but the status bar did not change.   Thank you

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)
  • Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (25,695 points)

When I have had this problem in the past it was usually due to not having run a repair library before createing or updating the vault.

I suggest you stop Aperture (while force quitting Aperture is never a good idea doing during a vault operation seems to have the least negative consequences) reboot your system, then start Aperture while holding the option and command keys down. Run a library repair and then try creating a new vault.

Post back if you still have troubles.

regards

• PaulMacrascal Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi Frank

I have the same problem as JDH from WA (15 Sept 13):

I followed your advice:

I rebooted my computer, then start Aperture while holding the option and command keys down, and ran a full repair:

Repair Database       [Repairing Library Database]

Rebuild Database

Repair Permissions  [Checking library consistency]

Restarting Aperture between each repair/rebuild.

I then created a new Vault on extHD. Successful (right thru to little black circle--which wasn't previously happening). I added a few photos to library (with further subsequent repairs just to be sure) and tried to update the Vault (by clicking on little circle). But Aperture crashed [ie no action: Force Quit shows 'Aperture (not responding)']. I've repeated this process many times with no luck.

Any further suggestions?

Paul

System: OS 10.8.5 Aperture 3.4.5 ext HD: Lacie500GB (no other files). Size of Aperture Library 200GB.