Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fusion Drive has corrupted my drives

About a three months ago I went to do a fresh install and Mountain Lion OSx automatically fusioned my SSD and HDD drives together. After looking online how to un-fusion the drives I got my system back to normal.

Today I when to do a fresh install because I was having problems with simple things like the terminal and updating to the latest version of OSx. When I restarted the mac to do an fresh install I get an issue stating that there is a drive error in both my SSD and HDD in disk utility on the boot up screen. it then says, do I want to fix it, I ok it but nothing happens. If I come out of the boot mode and restrat the OSx normally and the go into disk utility and check my drives everything is ok, so what gives.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

This stupid fusion drive thing apple added to the osx has messed up my drives and all I want is my mac back to the normal state it was when I first brought it in april.

Any help getting my drives to work in boot up would be a godsend.

Thanks in advance,

Tyrone

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Sep 15, 2013 7:51 AM

4 replies

Sep 15, 2013 7:55 AM in response to vizzyvisuals

OS X doesn't automatically "fusion" your drives together. Fusion Drive is ONLY supported on specific Mac models as shipped by Apple.

So unless you followed an article on how to set up Fusion Drive yourself (which is UNSUPPORTED), I'm not really sure what you're referring to. And if you did, perhaps you're seeing why it's not supported; Apple doesn't (and can't) test all configurations people have in their systems and there's the possiblity for problems.

Sep 15, 2013 8:27 AM in response to vizzyvisuals

"After looking online how to un-fusion the drives I got my system back to normal."

This would cause the issue you are describing. You corrupted your file system by destroying the logical volume.

"

When I restarted the mac to do an fresh install I get an issue stating that there is a drive error in both my SSD and HDD in disk utility on the boot up screen. it then says, do I want to fix it, I ok it but nothing happens. If I come out of the boot mode and restrat the OSx normally and the go into disk utility and check my drives everything is ok, so what gives."

If your volume was encrypted, the recovery partition won't be able to repair anything until it is decrypted. If you can't repair it:

According to Apple's FAQ, repairing a fusion drive erases it. Essentially, DU must reformat the drives. This makes sense:

Apple FAQ on Fusion drives

Message was edited by: nbar

Fusion Drive has corrupted my drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.