Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why after 4 hours does my iphone 5 say called failed?

Everytime i am on my phone for about 4 hours, it just ends my call and says call failed. Why is that? Is there anyway i can fix this?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Sep 15, 2013 9:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2013 10:42 AM

The "call failed" message means that your iPhone lost communications to the cell tower network. There are many possible causes for this. It could be that your battery is getting too low to keep the connection alive. It could be that the radio is overheating from being on for such a long period and it is failing to work within specs. It could be that your ell provider has something set in their towers thinking that it is an error when a call lasts that long, and they "fail" the call to prevent tieing up resources on dropped calls that didn't disconnect on your end. We would need more details to try to narrow down the probelms for you.

A number of years ago I was on a 2 hour cell call for work support overnight. About 45 min-an hour into the call my cell gave me a low battery indicator so I connected the AC power and contiued the call. At about 2 hours in, the phone got too hot and it just turned itself off dropping the call in the middle. At that time, it was a phone issue, but cell phones weren't designed to be used for 2+ hour calls then, so I don;t know of any cell phone that would have done better.

To be honest, I'm not sure why you are using an iPhone for 4 hour long calls now. There are so many better options.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2013 10:42 AM in response to AwesomeAnthem

The "call failed" message means that your iPhone lost communications to the cell tower network. There are many possible causes for this. It could be that your battery is getting too low to keep the connection alive. It could be that the radio is overheating from being on for such a long period and it is failing to work within specs. It could be that your ell provider has something set in their towers thinking that it is an error when a call lasts that long, and they "fail" the call to prevent tieing up resources on dropped calls that didn't disconnect on your end. We would need more details to try to narrow down the probelms for you.

A number of years ago I was on a 2 hour cell call for work support overnight. About 45 min-an hour into the call my cell gave me a low battery indicator so I connected the AC power and contiued the call. At about 2 hours in, the phone got too hot and it just turned itself off dropping the call in the middle. At that time, it was a phone issue, but cell phones weren't designed to be used for 2+ hour calls then, so I don;t know of any cell phone that would have done better.

To be honest, I'm not sure why you are using an iPhone for 4 hour long calls now. There are so many better options.

Why after 4 hours does my iphone 5 say called failed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.