Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PC: i-tunes won't launch, update and restore greyed out - updater freezes

Hi - Please excuse the system info below - that refers to my laptop but our sons shuffle ismarried to our PC.

I found my son's shuffle sitting on the hall dresser today and he informed me that it has not been working for some time. He's 8 years old but he's only had the shuffle since Christmas - I'm inclined to think he really hasn't been able to use it much.

First signs of a problem were flashing green and orange lights - no songs I guess. Battery shows steady green.

Downloaded and installed latest i-tunes update and i-pod updater. When the i-pod is connected to our PC (running XP) the front status light and the back battery lights both blink orange. Unfortunately, we do not have any 2.0 usb connections on the Dell but we've been able to successfully connect our other son's shuffle to the back port.

When the shuffle is connected i-tunes will not launch. If I launch i-tunes and then connect the shuffle, i-tunes does not recognize the i-pod.

With the updater lauched and then connecting the i-pod the updater freezes at 'initializing' and both update and restore buttons are greyed out.

I have reset the i-pod many times and browsed the support discussions and articles - it seems I may need to remove the updater but I have not found instructions for the process appropriate to a PC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - even if its just to say that we should bring it in for service. UGH - but where is the darned receipt?

PB15 1.67GHz/2GB, AEBS,4GB iPod,G-Raid 320GB (FW800)HD, Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Jun 21, 2006 8:51 PM

5 replies

Jun 21, 2006 9:52 PM in response to Leigh-Ann

I am having the exact same problem.

Flashing green and orange lights when I try to play the iShuffle, not being detected in iTunes and greying out of the restore and update buttons (and freezing entirely) when I try to use the iPod updater. I'm at a lost as to what to do next!

Any suggestions from anyone out there would be fantastic and much appreciated.

Dell Inspiron 500m Windows XP

Jun 21, 2006 10:03 PM in response to mmlise

Hey mmlise - glad to hear I'm not alone on this...

By the way - I uninstalled and reinstalled both i-tunes and i-pod updater as per Apple instructions for PC. At least this time the updater informed me as to what it updates but it is not even initializing now - it just keeps telling me to "plug in an i-pod to update it".

i-tunes still will not launch until I remove the shuffle from the usb.

I know that the usb is working (tried several other ports anyway) since windows pops up with a balloon to say that the device could perform faster on a 2.0 usb...

I've been out of the loop for awhile now on the boards - is this some sort of update bug?

Please help...

Jun 22, 2006 7:29 AM in response to Leigh-Ann

Just wanted to let everyone here know that I had a full diagnostic phonecall with Apple this morning - thank god I was ONE day away from being out of my 6 month warranty! Confirmed hardware failure - shuffle being replaced by Apple. Check your warranty dates everyone. One more day and I would have been responsible for the Apple shipping and handling charges - 37.00$ cdn.

Jun 30, 2006 9:05 AM in response to Leigh-Ann

Im having a similar problem but no problems with the lights. I have a New laptop with windows XP I have never had problems with my ipod shuffle before but latley the computer has recognized the ipod when i insert it into the computer but Itunes won't recongnize it. I updated itunes but can't update the ipod shuffle because the ipod updater is greyed out.Please HELP!

Jun 30, 2006 9:16 AM in response to Kd122591

Hi Kd122591

We recieved the replacement shuffle and all is well so long as I use my Mac - we have still been unable to use either of our shuffles with our PC. Did you try the newest updater and i-tunes update - released today? I've just been using the Mac to update my kids shuffles - I admit that I have given up on i-tunes with the PC.

You could try formatting with FAT32 through Windows Explorer - I have seen people having luck with that on the "green and orange flashing lights" thread.

Finally - have you contacted Apple for troubleshooting or to discuss a replacement?

Let us know what happens...

PC: i-tunes won't launch, update and restore greyed out - updater freezes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.