Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data recovery tips?

I put a bunch of different files in the trash and accidentically emptied it w/o realizing they were in there.

Being its Sunday and no data recovery shops are open.. what should I do? Turn the computer off immediately?

I was going to get some recovery software but am worried that would write over the files I am trying to recover.

What is the best thing to do?

Thanks

Posted on Sep 15, 2013 11:19 AM

14 replies

Sep 15, 2013 11:23 AM in response to AndrewAZ

Turn off the machine.

If you have another computer, or an external hard drive, you can download Prosoft Data Rescue and attempt to recover to that drive if it has an empty partition large enough to take the entire drive that you lost data on.

The key is if you do boot off an external drive, do not mount the internal drive until you are ready to try the recovery.

Using another computer, you can try using Target Disk Mode to access the other computer's drive over Firewire once you have the data recovery software.

You do not want to access the drive you are trying to recover until you have the rest of the data recovery software and hardware setup. Even just being on, the drive is being accessed by the operating system.

Data recovery tips?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.