Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop icons have disappeared

My Mac HD and backup drive icons have disappeared from my desktop. It all started when I tried to save two .m4a files to the dekstop. For some unknown reason they were invisible. I googled for help and found a link that told me to delete the com.applefinder.plist from Library Preferences and select relaunch in the Finder. After doing this not only could I not see the m4a files - but my HD and backup drive icons were now invisible.

Please advise how to restore these icons and find my m4a files. Thank you.

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 15, 2013 6:24 PM

8 replies

Mar 8, 2017 10:37 AM in response to C F McBlob

Thanks man. That helped a lot. I recently changed the email address for my Apple ID, so I thought that had to do with it. I changed it back, signed out of iCloud, and changed it back again. Then I saw your picture, enabled the drives on my desktop, but nothing. But it showed the iCloud folder and found all my lost documents. So this wasn't necessarily what was wrong, but it led me to my answer. Thanks again!

Sep 16, 2013 6:19 AM in response to jap0nica

Thank you, I have successfully restored my HD and backup drive icons. However, the music files I saved to the desktop are not there. When I tried to save them for the second time I got a message that they were already on the desktop and a second save would overwrite. So they are present, but invisible.

I am also unable to play these files in iTunes. Nothing happens when I click on the files - which incidentally were emailed to me.

Desktop icons have disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.