Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't insert CD on DVD drive

Hi:

I don't use my DVD drive too much, and this afternoon when trying to insert a disk to do a burn, it won't go in. To the best of my knowledge there's no disk inside. Regardless, I tried the typical solutions suggested in this forum, (1) pressing the eject keyboard button while starting the machine, (2) starting the machine with the mouse button pressed in, (3) clearing the PRAM. None of these solutions worked in my case. Disk utilities indicate that the drive is awaitng for a CD to be inserted. What else should I investigate? Thanks.

PS:

I tried also the following terminal commands:

Williams-Mac-mini:~ williampabon$ drutil tray eject

Williams-Mac-mini:~ williampabon$ drutil list

Vendor Product Rev Bus SupportLevel

1 HL-DT-ST DVDRW GA32N KC08 ATAPI Apple Shipping

Williams-Mac-mini:~ williampabon$ drutil tray eject 1

Williams-Mac-mini:~ williampabon$

None of those helped.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Sep 15, 2013 3:10 PM

10 replies

Jul 9, 2017 4:33 PM in response to arto kamera

Your problem, hardware or software, is not the same as that of the original poster of this older thread, and it can be very confusing for everybody if we try to answer more than one question in each thread, which can also result in you applying the wrong advice to your particular problem.

In order for us to give your problem our proper attention to try to solve it, would you kindly start your own thread, describing the trouble you are having in the fullest detail, including completing your details to show what Mac or iDevice you are using, what operating system, and what version of the application in question. Please remember to post in the forum relevant to your hardware or version of OS X. A full list of all the support forums is here:

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

Jul 7, 2017 7:58 PM in response to virjen estates

So I got a similar problem coul donly introduce the cd while rebooting the computer.

So now after typing drutil eject in terminal it still doesnt work but if I type drutil eject in terminal

and insert the dvd while the drive is making noises I can insert. So half a solution but better than restarting.

I used a 2011 15 inch Macbookpro running on os Sierra 10.12.5

Sep 17, 2013 9:12 AM in response to williepabon

By any chance have you or anyone else to your knowliedge attempted to insert a mini-CD in the drive? The mini-discs do not play nice with a slot loading drive and I have seen one case where one caused similar symptoms to those you describe. On the other hand optical drives are not noted for their longevity so your may have simply reached the end of its life. If you are still covered by warranty or Applecare I would take it in to the Genius Desk at the nearest Apple Store. If not external optical drives are probably cheaper that it would be to install a new internal optical drive. Bargains can be found at the Apple Store or Other World Computing.

Nov 26, 2013 6:00 AM in response to virjen estates

virjen estates wrote:

Don't use mine too often either. Inserted the wrong cd, ejected it then heard a sound like a cd inserting and then mounting, although nothing inside. Now I cannot insert anything. Tried the terminal commands nothing????????? Any ideas??????

Something triggered the mount sequence and now it is stuck. Labor rates for working on computers typically runs $65 an hour often with a two hour minimum. You can get a new external Superdrive from reliable sources such as Other World Computing for $50. You do the math.

Nov 26, 2013 12:46 PM in response to Joe Bailey

Solved the issue. For whatever reason my lazer printer had hijacked my drive. I was in the process of installing drivers when my Super Drive stopped working. I tried every solution I could get my hands on and finally retrieved my CD but could not insert any. Then today I noticed I had a problem with the printer so I unplugged the printer. Then the drive on the computer started to make noises, but the drive only accepted half a disk, so I opened Terminal and typed, drutil eject then enter.That did it. and now we're back to normal even with the printer connected. COMPUTERS!

Can't insert CD on DVD drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.