Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I've tried PRAM reset, repair disk and permissions but cannot boot up after recent install of OSX 8.4. Please help

After having to do a forced shut down (holding down power button) due to freezing I cannot again progress past the grey screen with the apple logo. The spinning cog comes on at first then disappears leaving just the apple logo (in case that is sognificant).

I have tried to find a solution through the support pages but have unfortunately been unsuccessful in my endeavours so do apologise I have overlooked the obvious and would really appreciate some help. I've just started the second year of my Uni and the timing couldn't be worse.

I have tried the following:

1) held down option and started in "recovery 10.8.4" from which I used disk utility to "repair disk", which at first needed some repairs and then I ran it again for the second time to confirm it had a clean bill of health.

2) I then ran "repair disk permissions" and repeated a second time to confirm it was all working well (however one error remained "warning: SUID file "system/library/CoreS... has been modified and will not be repaired" but have read that this should not be a big problem) After which I tried to start up again and it hung with the apple logo on the grey screen.

3) tried resetting the PRAM by holding down cmd+option+P+R before powering up, but it only chimes once and then restarts the mac, then chimes once and repeats the process again in and endless cycle.

4) I then tried 1 and 2 again and then tried to reinstall OSX 10.8.4 from the recovery mode, but this came up with the message "an error occured while preparing the installation. Try running this application again" to which I followed but to no avail.

5) I tried starting up in safe mode by holding down shift after the chime at startup but safe mode did not start after 3 hours. During which point I was drowning my frustration in the pub.

6) I tried starting in verbose mode with cmd+V but after running the script it reverts back to the grey screen.

I have not tried booting from an install disk as im a few hours from home on a uni campus with no apple store in sught and all day lectures so no hope to visit far away stores. I hope I have explained it in enough detail and appreciate any direction or thoughts as to it being salvageable. Failing which it might be time go go back to the pub and remember the importance of regular backups!

Many thanks

Stephen

MacBook Pro 2.93GHz, 4GB

Posted on Sep 15, 2013 3:14 PM

1 reply

Sep 15, 2013 3:42 PM in response to S.Sandles

I have one more development to add. In step "4" above I suspected that it could be something to with the Ethernet settings as I hadn't had the option of typing in the colleges wifi credentials. So I tried the "get help online" option to test it, managed to sign in and tried the step 4 again.

This time I received a different error message "could not find installation information for this machine".

Thanks

I've tried PRAM reset, repair disk and permissions but cannot boot up after recent install of OSX 8.4. Please help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.