Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will a built-in MacBook battery eventually swell?

Hi. I'm using a MacBook as a desktop machine connected to an external monitor. Currently, it's plugged in to the power all the time. I run it off the battery twice a week, to "keep the juices flowing", so to speak.

Previously, I used a MacBook with a removeable battery permanently connected to power. Eventualy the battery died and swelled (as can be expectd), Does anyone know if the same thing happens to built-in batteries? That would force the case from inside.

Tried searching here, and googling. But couldn't find an answer.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 15, 2013 4:37 PM

2 replies

Sep 15, 2013 4:44 PM in response to papamumin

You couldnt find answer because the LiPo (lithium polymer) cells on the macbooks (all use LiPo) are extremely robust (overtly so).

Swelling LiPo cells is now only seen on model racing cars that use LiPo packs and are constantly flipping and crashing, causing the LiPo cells to be perforate and worse.

Most all LiPo cell swelling is due to high rate discharges, again as meant racing cars, and high end radio controlled jets.

Unless youre using the macbook as a hammer, youve got no worries of LiPo cell swelling.

Sep 15, 2013 4:52 PM in response to papamumin

Charge and discharge characteristics of Li-polymer are identical to other Li-ion systems and do not require a special charger. Safety issues are also similar in that protection circuits are needed. Gas buildup during charge can cause some Li-polymer in a foil package to swell, and equipment manufacturers must make allowances for expansion. Li-polymer in a foil package may be less durable than Li-ion in the cylindrical package. Li-polymer is not limited to a foil package and can also be made into a cylindrical design. (My emphasis.)

Excerpt. Full text here:http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/the_li_polymer_battery_substance_or_h ype

Will a built-in MacBook battery eventually swell?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.