Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I force cellular data while on Wi-Fi

Here is my problem: I want to run airplay from my iphone to a stereo in my garage that is under my house. I bought an airport express and put it in my garage and ran a 3.5 mm jack from it to my stereo. The problem is the range on the airport extreme ***** and does not reach to my garage, which is 30 feet away down one level. If I use the airport express as an extender I get horrible skipping, which is a known problem. I can use the airport express as an "internet device" and stream to it. The problem is the signal ***** in the garage and I have to put my iPhone in a closer room to get a strong enough signal. The only solution I can think of is to use the airport express in the basement as a seperate network and then I will have a strong signal. The downside to that is I have no internet to it. Is there a way I can force the iphone to use cellular for data?

I am sorely dissapointed that I have $200 of apple "It just works" routers and I can't use airplay. I have tried different channels, and tried both wireless G and N. I live in a wood framed house and have 0 wireless home phones. I should have minimal interference. My range of the airport extreme should be more then 30 or 40 feet. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Posted on Sep 15, 2013 5:55 PM

3 replies

Sep 15, 2013 6:34 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I have a hard time buying "the configuration of my house" as an excuse for poor wifi signal. I have friends that get signal from their router 100 feet from their house (non apple router), and I can't get it 30 feet inside through wood and plaster. Either there is a settng or setup I am missing, or it is a lousy/faulty router. I am not trying to bash apple, I enjoy all my apple producs. It is jsut I have fought signal strenght/wifi setups since I switch to apple products.

How is it I cannot use the airport express as a wifi extender and still stream airplay. Even with the 256kbs audio going from the express to the extreme and then back to the express (which is how it works from my understanding) that souldn't even be close to using available bandwith. This is the only way I can get good signal in the basement. I am just disappointed and frustraited.

Sep 15, 2013 7:15 PM in response to psuarmy

It certainly could be a faulty router. It could also be that, given that the garage is below the house, there are weight bearing beams, wiring, pipes and so forth between the router and the garage. I find configuring WiFi networks to be extremely frustrating in general. I live in a house where nothing is a 100 feet away from anything else and there are rooms where the signal is awful. One of them is about 15 feet from the router. Not an Apple router, by the way.

Best of luck.

how do I force cellular data while on Wi-Fi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.