Skip navigation

Saving movies to an external Hard drive

1587 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 16, 2013 9:33 AM by AppleMan1958 RSS
CMBP Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 16, 2013 12:16 AM

I'm confused by all the alternatives to saving my projects and/or events. I have a 500 Gig external hard drive on which I would like to back up my material in order to avoid all the clutter and clips on my iMac ( I use iMovie 11) which I can then presumably delete after backing up, but then import again if required from the external H/D. I am just using up a whole lot of space on my computer with all the movie files.

1) Do I finalise the projects before exporting ?

2) Under the "share" option should I use "export using quick time" ?  What is the difference ? 

3) I realise the importance of keeping the raw video the projects point to, so does the actual EVENT have to be finalised in some way before saving ? 

4) I have uploaded a few movies onto Youtube (Restricted viewing) and they are automatically converted to MP4 presumably prior to publishing.  Does the    same thing happen when saving or archiving to an external HD ?

5) Is there any advantage in converting the finished project to another file type before exporting ?

6) When importing back into iMovie, does it have to be any particular file type ?

7) Is there anyway I can separate the events from the projects when saving externally ? 

These are the questions that come immediately to mind, but I would appreciate hearing from others what they feel is the best way to back-up externally on a dedicated unit.  I already have time machine, but I find that I would rather have all my movies together on one unit rather than search for them by date when saved with a whole lot of other stuff. I don't really want to burn each individual project onto a disc which is another alternative I suppose.  I have lost precious video in the past and don't want to experiment before I know what I am doing.

iMac (20-inch Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8), imovie 11

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.