Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What Monitor?

Hi guys,

I love my MacBook Pro 13" and am very happy with it however hust recently I have realised that I would love an external display for home usage. I just find having a bigger screen for Minecraft, movies and YouTube would be nice. I am still and rely and my parents for tech so I can't ask that much money of them so that thunderbolt display isn't an option. I would like to know the best budget monitor that has a very nice display. I hate to be like this but I'd like a monitor that isn't too ugly because I want to be able to look at it without cringing. Lol.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 16, 2013 5:01 AM

4 replies

Sep 18, 2013 12:52 PM in response to dippypants

I used an LG 23" with my MBP ($139 at BestBuy) and it was exceptional. These days you can goe a really good 1920X1080 LCD display for less than $130 Currently I have two AOC 2269W monitors on my Mini. They were $119 each and max at 1920X1080.

The thing I discovered about using an external display with my MBP was that, after about a month, I added a shelf under my desk and put the MBP down there and ONLY used the external display (as my primary monitor). The only time I ever used the MBP display was when I was meeting with clients and took the MBP with me somewhere.

Sep 18, 2013 3:39 PM in response to dippypants

The LG I had was a 16:9 and the display "adjusted" for it. The display preferences will set each display according to size and ratio - 16:10 for the MBP and 16:9 for the external. Then you can choose mirroring or extended desktop, and pick which one you want your menu bar and dock to be in.

As to AOC or LG. it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. I couldn't tell any difference in quality of display. All I was really concerned with was resolution. A lot of 22 inch monitors only go to 1440x900. I wanted 1920X1080 and the AOC hit that for $20 less than the 23" LG, so I went with my wallet and chose the cheaper one. BOTH have DVI or VGA input, so there was no difference there. BOTH can be wall mounted with the proper hardware.

What Monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.