Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPS data in Aperture not saved to files

Hi there

I have been using Aperture for a while and love it! Recently I purchased a DSLR and upon importing into Aperture, I manually added the locations to the files. Whenever I view the places feature for my library, I can see pins on the map so I know its been saved correctly.

When I imported the files, I ensured the import was "file system" and so hopefully Aperture doesnt save it into it's own library.

Unfortuantely, when I try and view the EVIF GPS data in Photoshop for these files, the GPS value is empty. If I manually export the file, the data is there, but somehow the files are smaller in file size (even though I chose JPEG Original Size).

Is there a way for me to make GPS changes in Aperture and for it to be automatically saved to the actual file instead of me going through the process of exporting it?

Thanks!

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 16, 2013 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2013 9:59 AM

Aperture does write the GPS data only to the versions, when you are assigning a place, not to the EXIF tags of the original files.

So you will need to export the edited version to write the GPS to an image file.

If I manually export the file, the data is there, but somehow the files are smaller in file size (even though I chose JPEG Original Size).

"JPEG Original Size" refers to the pixel size, not the file size. You could try to increase the image quality settings in the "JPEG Original Size" export preset. Select this preset in the export panel and then switch to "Edit". This will allow you to increase the "image Quality" by adjusting the slider. Or select a "Tiff" preset, to export losslessly.

User uploaded file

Another work-around would be to use exiftool to set the GPS tags on your originals, if you are experienced with the Terminal (see: Modifying EXIF tags of Originals Using exiftool: camera, lens, gps)

I usually do the geocoding before importing the image files to Aperture with Jetphoto Studio, but that is not a free application.

Regards

Léonie

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2013 9:59 AM in response to gurmukhp

Aperture does write the GPS data only to the versions, when you are assigning a place, not to the EXIF tags of the original files.

So you will need to export the edited version to write the GPS to an image file.

If I manually export the file, the data is there, but somehow the files are smaller in file size (even though I chose JPEG Original Size).

"JPEG Original Size" refers to the pixel size, not the file size. You could try to increase the image quality settings in the "JPEG Original Size" export preset. Select this preset in the export panel and then switch to "Edit". This will allow you to increase the "image Quality" by adjusting the slider. Or select a "Tiff" preset, to export losslessly.

User uploaded file

Another work-around would be to use exiftool to set the GPS tags on your originals, if you are experienced with the Terminal (see: Modifying EXIF tags of Originals Using exiftool: camera, lens, gps)

I usually do the geocoding before importing the image files to Aperture with Jetphoto Studio, but that is not a free application.

Regards

Léonie

GPS data in Aperture not saved to files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.