Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic mouse stopped working after upgrading to Mountain Lion 10.8.5

Today I upgraded Mountain Lion to 10.8.5 (via the App Store) on my newest iMac. First of all, immediately after the upgrade restart, my USB keyboard (which I prefer because I want the keypad) wasn't recognised; now, on the new Magic Mouse (which came with the iMac) the left and middle click are not being recognised. Whichever side I click, I just get the seconary click pop up box as if I were right clicking. I have checked the mouse settings -- everything is fine; I have checked the batteries -- they are fine; I have rebooted, to no avail.

So I've had to resort to an old USB mouse.

Can anyone help? I'm pretty fed up about having paid for a mouse that I can't use.

Thanks

Posted on Sep 16, 2013 7:49 AM

12 replies

Sep 16, 2013 10:00 AM in response to JulieStanford

Forgot to mention that the scroll stopped, too! (Good job I hadn't thrown away old faithful mouse!)

However, it's an intermittent fault so I could be tempted to think it's the mouse itself, if it hadn't happened immediately after I upgraded and if the upgrade it hadn't thrown up the keyboard error message, too.

I'll try the Combo (and I have Time Machine running on the whole system so can restore, if necessary).

I'll report back. Thanks for all your help.

Sep 18, 2013 2:21 AM in response to JulieStanford

Update: I've cleaned the mouse window, and installed the Combo, but the intermittent fault keeps happening. The mouse will be fine for a few hours, then it seems to lose its way and left clicking becomes right clicking then the scroll stops working. The mouse is only a few months old and was working perfectly until I updated the OS.

Thanks for all your suggestions. The moral of this story? Don't update your OS until all these little anomalies have been unearthed and sorted by Apple!

Magic mouse stopped working after upgrading to Mountain Lion 10.8.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.