Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages/FaceTime broken in 10.8.5

Ugh. Both Messages and FaceTime are broken for me in 10.8.5; they've always worked flawlessly before I updated. I've seen all the similar issues people are having, and none of the fixes I've found are doing it for me.

Symptoms in Messages: I sign in with my Apple ID on the "Accounts" tab in Message preferences. I get a pop-up window asking for my iMessage Password. I enter it, and immediately get the same pop up window again. As long as I keep entering it correctly, it keeps asking me for it again. If I enter my password incorrectly, it gives me an "Incorrect Apple ID or password" error as you'd expect.

Back when it worked correctly, I never got this pop-up window. All the login activity took place inside the "Accounts" tab.

I created a second user account, and I can't log in there, either. But I don't get the pop-up. It just gives me a message about not being able to connect to servers, please try later (that's what happens when I try to log in to FaceTime, too).

I've tried deleting all relevant plist files in preferences, changing my Apple ID password, and everything else I can find suggested in the forums. Nothing seems to be working.

Again, everything was working fine in 10.8.4 and earlier.

Any ideas?

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 16, 2013 9:39 AM

41 replies

Sep 16, 2013 11:29 AM in response to Eric Root

There is no Messages account listed. In the process of troubleshooting I deleted all my Messages preference files, which seems to have removed my old Messages account. When I launched Messages after doing that, it gave me the "Set up" screen, which I can't log into, so there is actually no Messages account currently set up. When I try to set it up, I get the errors described above.

Any other ideas?

Sep 16, 2013 11:48 AM in response to Eric Root

Creating a "Messages" account there only gives me the option of AIM, Yahoo, GTalk, and Jabber. Not Apple's Messages.

I already have the iCloud account set up in System Preferences, but there's no option there for Messages.

So explain to to me like I'm five. How do I add a Messages account that uses my Apple ID in System Preferences?

Sep 16, 2013 12:40 PM in response to Eric Root

Right. But then it asks me what kind of Messages account I'd like to add, and only gives me the option of AIM, Yahoo, GTalk, and Jabber. Not Apple's Messages.

So how do I add a standard Messages (iMessage) account? The kind that ties in across with my iOS devices?

Actually, I think we're getting off track. I know how to add a standard account through the Mesages app. I don't believe that's the problem. The problem is that it won't let me actually use my existing account, as I described in my original post.

So... am I off base? Any other suggestions?

Sep 16, 2013 2:02 PM in response to DavidNYC

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.
The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, or by corruption of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled on some models, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain iMacs. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.
The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Sep 16, 2013 6:20 PM in response to DavidNYC

Just a "me too" chirp. Can't login to the iMessage server after the upgrade to 10.8.5, though it was working prior to that. Deleted com.apple.imessage.bag.plist; reset PRAM; killed imagent; deleted the Keychain Access "login" entries. I can login to the iCloud web page, and the System Preferences page for my iCloud account, so I know it's not the password, but Messages just doesn't want to connect.

Sep 16, 2013 6:40 PM in response to DavidNYC

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data, then reinstall the OS. You don't need to erase the startup volume, and you won't need your backup unless something goes wrong. If your Mac was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you’ll need the Apple ID and password you used to upgrade.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it.

Sep 17, 2013 9:04 AM in response to aaron.minner

Aaron: that's exactly what I'e been going through. I have a theory: Have you ever had your logic board replaced? I did, and ended up with no serial number for my Mac. I've seen a couple reports that a lack of serial number affects iMessages, but I'd never had a problem before. Maybe the problem has resurfaced in 10.8.5. Do you have a serial number?

Under "About this Mac" click "More Info..." and see what it says. Mine just says "Serial Number System Serial#". What about you?

Linc: I might try that when I have a chance and see if it fixes things. Have you heard anything about the iMessages/Serial# correlation?

Sep 17, 2013 11:54 AM in response to DavidNYC

David: Nope. My MBP has been solid since day 1. No replacements, no problems. No weird or unusual software or System Preferences tweaks, either. It's a pretty stock machine. I did have some Keychain Access-related trouble after the Apple Development site got hacked and they had to rebuild everything on their end. That was back in August, I think. Short of deleting and renewing a couple of development Provisions, that was the extent of it. Until the day before yesterday, when I upgraded to 10.8.5, Messages worked fine.

Messages/FaceTime broken in 10.8.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.