Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I back up multiple Aperture 3 libraries in one vault?

Hi,

I have divided my Aperture 3 managed images into two large libraries. Each contains about 25,000 images. My internal HD is backed up by Time Machine and I have a second 1TB HD on which I was going to create a vault. Amazingly, I cannot find any information in the manual or through online searches that will tell me if I can put more than one library into a single vault, or how to accomplish this. I know I have to limit myself to one vault per backup disk but all the references to "libraries" in the manual refer to backing up THE library even though they admit the possibility of maintaining more than a single library.

I appreciate any help the group can provide.

Cliff

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 4GB RAM, 1TB HD, Aperture 3.4,

Posted on Sep 16, 2013 9:49 AM

17 replies

Sep 16, 2013 10:22 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Wow, Frank, that was fast. Thanks.

To answer your question with a question: Doesn't the quote below from the Manual mean each Vault needs its own external HD or am I missing something ? It does seem hard to believe that if I have five libraries then I will need five vaults and five disks for a single backup but...

Important: To ensure preservation of your image assets, make sure to assign a separate

external hard disk drive to each vault.

Sep 16, 2013 10:38 AM in response to cjfn

Cliff,

you are referring to this?

Click Add.

The new empty vault appears in the Vault pane.

Important: To ensure preservation of your image assets, make sure to assign a separate external hard disk drive to each vault.

When you create a new vault, it is empty. Therefore, as soon as you create a new vault, you should update it.

Sep 16, 2013 10:43 AM in response to cjfn

OK I think I see the confusion.

The section. Creating Vaults, is discussing the strategy for backing up one library.

Before you can back up your files, you must create a vault and assign a hard disk to it. After you assign a disk to the vault, Aperture uses the vault to back up the entire library. You can create additional vaults and assign hard disks to them, and each additional vault also records a complete backup of the library.

(emphasis added)

So Apple is telling you here that you can have multiple vaults for a single library, something you may want to do to be extra safe as one backup is never enough especially with something as irreplaceable as digital images.

Then below is your excerpt

Important: To ensure preservation of your image assets, make sure to assign a separate external hard disk drive to each vault.

which is really addressing the issue of multiple vaults for a single library. What this is saying is if you make multiple vaults for a library having all those vaults on one disk is not going to really buy you anything.

To get the extra protection multiple vaults of a single library will give you each vault needs to be on a separate disk. Or else if the disk with all the vaults for this library goes then all the vaults are gone.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

regards

Sep 16, 2013 10:48 AM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie,

Yes, that is the reference. Kirby's interpretation seems to make sense i.e. they are referring to having more than one copy of the same vault/libary on the same HD. Otherwise backing up via vault for more than one or two libraries would be prohibitively expensive. Is everyone in agreement on that interpretation?

Cliff

Sep 16, 2013 10:54 AM in response to cjfn

So Apple is telling you here that you can have multiple vaults for a single library, something you may want to do to be extra safe as one backup is never enough especially with something as irreplaceable as digital images.

Frank's post is referring to multiple vaults for added safety by having more than one backup of the same library. But if you want to have a versioning history and keep several vaults as snapshots of different versions of the same library, you could keep them on the same drive.

Sep 16, 2013 11:02 AM in response to cjfn

I have to say, working with Aperture must be wreaking havoc on my blood pressure: the price of a wrong move can be so high🙂.

That is why having backups is so important, think of backups as your favorite blood pressure medicine (either legal or not 😉)

Seriously knowing that no matter what happens or what you do you can get your library back is a great stress reducer.

Sep 16, 2013 11:06 AM in response to cjfn

I have to say, working with Aperture must be wreaking havoc on my blood pressure: the price of a wrong move can be so high🙂.

Photos are really precious, you are right to protect them.

Have you considered to use other backup schemes in addition to vaults?

I simply include all Aperture libraries in my regular system backup - Time Machine and a clone of the system drive ond the data drive.

Sep 16, 2013 11:17 AM in response to léonie

Thanks, again. Yes, I also take the belt and suspenders approach to backing up using Time Machine. Doesn't stop me from worrying though😁.

The reason the above problem had crept (leapt) into my life was because my internal hard drive on my 6 year old iMac 24 had died. My library was backed up on TM and it was successfully restored after replacing the dead drive. But what if it hadn't worked.....? See what I mean?

Cliff

Can I back up multiple Aperture 3 libraries in one vault?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.