Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i get itunes to recognize my external dvd ?

I have a 3yr old iMac and the internal SuperDrive has given up the ghost. I just bought an external dvd burner/reader and connected via USB. When I insert a CD I can see the drive and the .wav files in Finder, yet I can't access the music CD from iTunes. How can I get iTunes to see the external optical drive so I can import cds into my library ?

The external dvd writer is a(supposedly) Mac compatible Samsung SE-208

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 16, 2013 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2013 1:09 PM

If these are WAV files, then this is not a standard audio CD and so iTunes won't rip it as it does normal music disks. Either just drag the WAV files to the iTunes window or use the Add to Library command and select the files on the DVD.

Regards.

4 replies

Sep 16, 2013 1:35 PM in response to varjak paw

Hi,

Thanks for that - it partially helped me. It adds the files to my iTunes as WAV audio files, but takes forever to do so and also doesn't do any of the clever things (such as looking up the track names with Gracenotes) as when I used to just put the CD in the imac drive slot.

I tested this specific cd in my wifes mac laptop, and it just recognises it, identifies the album and track names and starts importing - so at least I know this is just a regular music cd.

As my internal drive on the iMac is broken, I was hoping that I could just attach an external dvd/burner, and it would function exactly the same as the internal SuperDrive.

Is there anything else I can do to get the iMac or specifically iTunes to treat the external dvd/burner in the same way as the internal dvd drive?

Sep 16, 2013 2:15 PM in response to Chewy25

Chewy25 wrote:

Hi,

It adds the files to my iTunes as WAV audio files, but takes forever to do so and also doesn't do any of the clever things (such as looking up the track names with Gracenotes) as when I used to just put the CD in the imac drive slot.

I tested this specific cd in my wifes mac laptop, and it just recognises it, identifies the album and track names and starts importing - so at least I know this is just a regular music cd.

If it's a true audio CD, then the files on the disk cannot be WAV. If they're WAV on the disk, it's not a standard audio CD. Standard audio disks are PCM which will appear as AIFF when viewed in Finder on a Mac. I'm a bit suspicious that there's something else amiss with your system, but right now I can't guess quite what. Perhaps someone else will have an idea.

Regards.

Sep 17, 2013 8:22 AM in response to varjak paw

Maybe its something to do with it being an old and very un-cool CD (Ultravox !!) 😉

I'm begining to think its actually an issue with the external dvd drive, especially as the Samsung support page only provides support or updates for Windows operating systems and absolutely nothing for Mac.

I'm travelling now on business and won't be able to look at it until tomorrow night so I'll have another play around with it then - but thanks again for takign the time to look at this.

how do i get itunes to recognize my external dvd ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.