Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X 10.8.5 causes external disk to eject improperly

Ever since updating to 10.8.5 I'm having a problem with my external Time Machine drive when my iMac goes to sleep. When I return to the computer, the folling warning pops up on the screen:

User uploaded file

I'm not doing anything differently than I've always done. This problem started right after installing 10.8.5, so I'm assuming the problem lies there. Anyone else having a similar problem? Anyone know of a fix? The drive is a 3TB LaCie d2 with a Thunderbolt connection. The Mac is a 21.5", late 2012 iMac with Fusion Drive.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Sep 16, 2013 2:06 PM

25 replies

Sep 17, 2013 5:35 PM in response to JimminyC

Exact same problem here. I have reported it to Apple as well as Lacie, my external HD maker. I believe it to be a 10.8.5 bug. I have disabled the sleep on my iMac, so far so good. If I do want my iMac to sleep for an extended period I will just unmount & switch off the external HD. If you have the bug & have not reported it to Apple, please do so.

Sep 24, 2013 8:52 AM in response to JimminyC

I am having the same problem with a couple of external RAID arrays on USB3. I have solved this problem previously by unchecking "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" option in the "Energy Saver" system preference panel but the problem has returned in 10.8.5. It seems that despite the option being unchecked, the HDs still spin down. There is some other chains on this HD sleeps issue and it has been discovered that they are spinning down with the monitor going to sleep. The easiest work around to this problem at the moment is to set the "Display sleep" option to "Never". Worked for me.

Sep 26, 2013 5:47 PM in response to JimminyC

I was experiencing the same error message after the update after waking my iMac from sleep with two bew LaCie external drives connected to my iMac's Thunderbolt ports. Three days of troubleshooting with a very helpful senior level tech (and an examination of my pertinent system files by Apple engineering) revealed that the 10.8.5 update apparently changed the power the iMac uses when going into hibernation, and the LaCie drives do not recognize that there is enough power, or any power, to properly eject them prior to sleep. The tech urged that I disable the sleep settings and contact LaCie to see if they have issued any firmware updates since Apple released 10.8.5.

Sep 27, 2013 12:02 PM in response to JimminyC

I was directed by Apple support to contact LaCie (maker of my two external drives that have been ejecting improperly on sleep) to see if they have issued a software update after OSX 10.8.5. They said that are not planning on issuing one, so we will be have to await an update by Apple to fix the bug. As reported above by BarryFromKemptville, MacRumors is reporting that an update from Apple is in the works.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/24/os-x-10-8-5-supplemental-update-being-prepar ed-to-address-facetime-camera-and-other-issues/

OS X 10.8.5 causes external disk to eject improperly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.