Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating Apple ID email address on iPad?

I changed my Apple ID email address. I now want to update my iPad with my new email address, but in settings the Apple ID portion is greyed out, I can only click the password. The iPad is giving me pop-up windows asking for my password for the old email, but won't accept my password anymore since my new email is now the one associated with my Apple ID. I tried logging off of iTunes and back on, and it worked for iTunes itself but made no change to the device. Can anyone help me out with how to update my Apple ID email address on my iPad?

Posted on Sep 16, 2013 5:04 PM

9 replies

Sep 16, 2013 8:30 PM in response to owl11

Hi owl,

You need to delete the iCloud account on your iPad, and then sign back into iCloud with the new email address you have assigned to your Apple ID:

Settings>iCloud - scroll to the very bottom of the screen and tap Delete Account. It will tell you that your Photo Stream will be removed, and also ask if you want to keep your contacts on the device. Don't worry about the Photo Stream - it will come back once you sign back on with the new Apple/iCloud ID. (you did just change your existing Apple ID email address, right - not create a brand new ID)?

Cheers,

GB

Sep 16, 2013 8:56 PM in response to owl11

Now iTunes on my computer is giving me problems as well. I can enter my new email address, and my password, but it tells me that it is incorrect. It is not incorrect. I wrote down my new information and got email confirmations. I assume it asked me for that information when I opened iTunes because of the change. But now it does not accept that change. So I have problems everywhere. I can't just keep creating new passwords that won't let me log into my accounts anywhere. And I saw another response on my email, though for some reason it does not show up here, so to clarify -- yes, I just changed the email on my existing account. I did not create a new account.

Sep 17, 2013 6:07 AM in response to owl11

Not if all you did was change your existing Apple ID to a new email address....

EXCEPT - if your Photo Stream has more than 30 days worth of photos in it that you have not yet uploaded to your computer, and they are not on your Camera Roll as well, then you will lose them. If that is the case, then save any photos in the Photo Stream that are older than 30 days back to your Camera Roll.

Cheers,

GB

Updating Apple ID email address on iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.